Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
We're sure Jessica Rose needs no introduction to most of you! She is an award-winning entrepreneur, author and founder of Jewellers Academy and the London Jewellery School, which was one of the largest jewellery training centres in the world. Her passion is supporting jewellers to learn and develop their skills as well as helping business owners to run their own successful businesses on their own terms.
We’re so excited to hear more about the Jewellers Retreat - a three-episode series made by Jessica and Jewellers Academy. We ask Jess all about it!
So Jess, tell us about the Jewellers Retreat!
Earlier this year, I invited three Jewellers Academy Diploma students for three days of making, learning, creating and relaxation! Each day the students were given a theme and a limited amount of time to produce a piece of jewellery.
Take a look at the trailer as you'll get to see a sneaky peek into what they made...
How did the Jewellers Retreat come about?
I was looking for a way to showcase and support beginner jewellers. The three jewellers featured are all very talented and still in training. I work a lot with very talented jewellers who are filming our online courses and wanted the chance to shine a spotlight on student work and look more at the process of designing and making.
Tell us about the jewellers featured in the show
We invited three Diploma students to be a part of the show.
Meet The Jewellers Below!
Jasmine is an art teacher from Brighton. While teaching she felt like her own creative practice had slipped away a little so she enrolled on a short silversmithing course and loved it.
Jasmine set up a mini jewellery studio in her house and enrolled on the Diploma in Silver Jewellery with Jewellers Academy starting in September 2020 and was still completing the course when she filmed the Jewellers Retreat.
Sally started jewellery making later in life after a health scare in her 30s prompted her to reevaluate her life. She has a successful career as a graphic designer and first started to take jewellery making classes at the London Jewellery School, completing the Diploma there.
As a student with us she won the F Hinds High Street by Design competition with her Seachange range which was sold all over the UK in their shops. Sally has also won numerous Goldsmiths’ Craft and Design Council Awards aka the jewellery Oscars, over the last few years for her innovative designs informed by her graphic design background.
Sally is now completing the Diploma in Fine Jewellery with Jewellers Academy.
Marketa is originally from the Czech Republic and has been living in Newquay, Cornwall for more than a decade. She loves using the ocean as her inspiration. Marketa is Mum to a 3 year old girl who loves helping her find beach treasures to incorporate into her designs.
Marketa started the Diploma in Silver Jewellery with Jewellers Academy in September 2020 and was completing her first year of jewellery training when we filmed the Jewellers Retreat. Marketa is now completing the Diploma in Fine Jewellery with Jewellers Academy.
How is the Jewellers Retreat different from All That Glitters?
We came up with the concept for the Jewellers Retreat before All That Glitters was aired. I absolutely loved ATG and if you haven't seen it you definitely should. However, the Retreat is a bit different. ATG showcased the amazing work of established jewellers. The Retreat follows three budding jewellers who are just starting out on their jewellery making journey. None of the jewellers work full time on their jewellery - yet! Jasmine and Marketa had both done a few short courses before taking the Diploma in Silver Jewellery with Jewellers Academy. They were both completing the Diploma course when we filmed the Retreat - they hadn’t even finished! Sally Costen completed the Diploma with us at the London Jewellery School a few years ago so was a little more experienced.
There also isn't a competition element in the Retreat. It's about setting a theme and seeing how three different jewellers approach that theme with a limited time. Each day an experienced jeweller-mentor was on hand to help with any questions and techniques so it was all about supporting the jewellers and cheering them on! We also have a making tip and business tip for each episode so it is very much for jewellers but I am sure that anyone would enjoy watching!
What were some of the challenges you faced in making this show?
It’s the first time we made anything of this type before so there’s always a lot to learn! We filmed the show over a weekend in July and it turned out to be the hottest weekend of the year!
That was very challenging as we had three jewellers using jewellers torches and pickle. And of course we also had all the lights, two camera operators and a sound operator all in the same room!
It was a challenge to keep cool and I love that we are sharing this show in December as it’s a little slice of summer to keep us warm!
Watch Episode 1
In episode 1, the jewellers were asked to design and make a necklace for someone special to them. Watch below to see what incredible designs they make!
Watch Episode 2
In episode 2 the jewellery Diploma students have just a few hours to make an engagement and wedding ring set - but with a difference! Tune in below to find out what happens.
Watch Episode 3
In the final episode, the jewellers make a piece of jewellery to showcase their signature style. It is always fascinating to see what jewellers are inspired by so we're sure you will love this episode! Watch below.
In the engagement and wedding episode, Marketa created an eye-catching Swiss blue topaz engagement ring, which also featured a tiny little salt and pepper diamond
Diamonds featured often in the series, it's one of the most sought after gems due to its lustre, durability and rarity - plus diamond comes in a wonderful range of colours to choose from so what's not to love!
You'll find high quality gemstones in a range of cuts, shapes and sizes to complete your designs on the Kernowcraft website as well as all the tools and supplies you may need
Learn More About The Techniques Featured
We loved the mentors and educational aspect of this series, as well as the insight into the many jewellery making techniques such as reticulation, granulation, riveting, sawing, stone setting and oxidisation.
We loved seeing Sally's intricate and detailed sawing!
Reticulation is the process of achieving a textured surface on metal through controlled heat!
Granulation is a popular and ancient jewellery making technique that consists of melting tiny granules of metal that you can then attach to the surface of your designs. It's wonderful if you love adding texture to your pieces.
Rivets are a decorative and popular way of joining materials together without the use of heat.
The Jewellers featured a whole range of brilliant stone setting techniques. Explore our stone setting tutorials where you can learn about various techniques and follow tutorials to make your own designs.
Watch Kim's tutorial on how to create a bezel set cabochon ring below and watch her cabochon setting tutorials here.
We love using liver of sulphur to oxidise our designs, read more about liver of sulphur and how you can use it to create a black or coloured patina on your designs.
Watch our tutorial below on how to use liver of sulphur!
More Behind The Scenes Snaps From The Jewellers Retreat!
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr