Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
We love supporting Cornish jewellers and when we saw Lucy had launched her sea glass business, we were keen to find out more about it!
In this Meet The Jeweller feature, Lucy shares with us how life in Cornwall has inspired her designs, how jewellery making allows her to switch off from her busy lifestyle and her advice for those wishing to start their own handmade business.
Lucy often comes to visit us at our counter service in Perranporth, Cornwall and we feel very proud that she chooses to support a small business like us for her jewellery making needs. Find out Lucy's favourite Kernowcraft supplies below and be inspired to make your own sea glass jewellery!
Hi Lucy, tell us a bit about yourself!
I am a local girl who has grown up in Cornwall and have always be drawn to the ocean. Whether that be a stroll across the beach with the dogs or getting in the ocean itself. It is ultimately the dog walks on the beach that drew my inspiration to making jewellery. I would often stumble across sea glass on the beach and I became obsessed with collecting as much as I could. It became so exciting to explore new beaches all around Cornwall to see what treasures I could find.
Tell us about the first time you tried jewellery making and what you loved about it!
The first time I made jewellery I was only a little girl. I was with my nan at the time, she was always so creative and artistic, so she was always making things. I remember her setting out all these fascinating beads from an old rusty tin. It was full of different shapes and colours. She would sit there and show me all these fantastic little pieces then let me get creative and make stuff out of it with her.
What’s your favourite thing about using sea glass?
I adore how raw the material is and that it has been re-created by the ocean to have a new life as something else. I love the range of colours you can discover and that everyday new pieces are revealed. Each with its own mystery of its origin, never knowing where that piece sea glass came from or what it once could have been. I truly feel like it is a little gift from the ocean.
Congratulations on the recent launch of your jewellery business, tell us more about the process to getting to this point.
For about a year I have been creating small pieces of jewellery for myself never really having the confidence to launch it. With the support and love from my other half I finally made the jump. I did a lot of research and watched a lot of tutorials, I started making jewellery for friends and family and it has organically grown from there.
What advice would you give to a hobbyist wanting to take the step to sell their jewellery?
I would advise them to just go for it! I wish I had a long time ago. Find your own creative style and stay true to that, and no matter how silly you might think a creation will look if you are inspired to make it then go for it.
Tell us more about having ambassadors for your jewellery business!
I love the girls I have as my ambassadors. It's such a nice way to capture the true beauty of your work on such talented models. It is a great way for people to see what your products look like in real life as well and not just in a studio setting. For me, it is very important to have ambassadors who share my vision.
As a nurse, photographer and blogger, what’s your top tips for time management?
To be honest I’m not really sure, I have to write everything down and allocate time for each thing. But for me making jewellery is my way of relaxing and switching off from the hectic day-to-day stresses. I am lucky to live where I do and have jobs that I love, if you love every element of your life it's always a pleasure.
Describe Love Kernow Jewellery in 3 words!
Unique, sustainable, dainty
What does a typical day look like for you?
If I’m not working at the hospital or doing photo shoots, I wake up slow and do a short session of yoga to get me going. I then attend to my animals and head down to the beach with the dogs and start the sea glass hunt. If I have jewellery that needs photographing then I will try and get into the studio to get creative and shoot. My day finishes by unwinding and spending quality time with my other half whilst having pooch snuggles on the sofa.
How does living in Cornwall inspire your designs?
I am inspired daily by the changes of the rugged coastline and the seasonal changes. I also adore the changing colours of the plant life. At the moment I am obsessed with the yellow gorse against the blue seas.
What are your favourite beaches in Cornwall for finding sea glass?
I don’t actually have any particular beaches that are my favourite as I am pretty lucky to find beautiful sea glass on most beaches I go to. I think it is a case of spending the time to look and discover pieces.
Who is one Cornish creative everyone should be following right now and why?
I am obsessed with Sadie Jewellery. She is such a talented jeweller and is so creative, you can see how much passion she has in every piece she produces.
Top 3 favourite Kernowcraft supplies and why!
These were the first materials I used when I started working with sea glass. It helped me gain confidence to move on to the next steps.
This allowed me to create so much more by actually being able to drill though my sea glass.
What’s your top tip for taking jewellery photos?
Good lighting and composition is key. I shoot with a Canon camera and use my 24-70mm lens to get up nice and close to my jewellery. Get creative with how you present you jewellery and try to show your personality and style through you props. Its not all about the expensive equipment and studios to capture nice shots. Get creative with whatever you’ve got.
What area of jewellery making would you like to explore next?
I am about to learn the art of silverwork, I can't wait to explore how I can personalise my sea glass range more with recycled silver.
You have always been a wonderful supporter of Kernowcraft, why would you recommend us as a supplier?
For me I love to use Kernowcraft as I'm very passionate about promoting local Cornish businesses. You guys have always been so supportive and are always on hand to help, you go above and beyond.
What can we expect from Love Kernow Jewellery over the next year?
I am certainly looking to add more pieces to my jewellery range. To add a lot more silver work to my sea glass range and to dabble more with sustainable materials.
You May Like
Glue On Bell Caps
At Kernowcraft, we have a beautiful range of sterling silver and plated bell caps for your jewellery designs where you can adjust the claws to fit around your chosen stone. They are perfect to use with small tumbled polished stones, sea glass and raw crystals. We recommend using our Devcon Epoxy glue to secure your stone into the setting.
Be inspired by sea glass beginner projects below
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr