Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
Truro & Penwith College were back for another year, with an exhibition held at Lemon Quay in Truro to show off the work of Cornwall's art and design students.
Today we chat with Sarah Shelton-Palmer, a Silversmithing and Jewellery student who won the Kernowcraft award with her beautiful designs!
Every year we look forward to this event, filled with amazing designs from creatives all across Cornwall. In this post, Sarah shares what it's like to take part in this annual exhibition, the inspiration behind her designs and what the future holds.
If you're looking for jewellery and silversmithing courses in Cornwall, find out more here with Truro and Penwith College.
Congratulations on winning an award at Truro College's Baker's Dozen exhibition! How did you prepare for the exhibition?
Firstly I would like to say a massive thank you for the award I received from the exhibition.
I was already preparing my collection for the final major project in our degree at Truro & Penwith College. I made sure that I had the time to get my main pieces ready for the exhibition.
How do you think this exhibition helps up-and-coming jewellers and artists in Cornwall?
It gives you the chance to showcase your work and the experience gives you the confidence to start thinking about the creative industry. It’s a great opportunity for the students at Truro & Penwith College.
What was the inspiration behind the designs you showcased?
My inspiration stems from my surroundings and lifestyle. For my
The designs come from Cornish rock pools and the creatures living in them. The facets found in the quartz along the Cornish coast gave me the ideas for the shapes of the lockets.
What’s your favourite piece of jewellery you featured and why?
My favourite piece is the largest locket. Its special to me because of the way it was made, I used new techniques and pushed my boundaries. I set faceted moonstone gemstones in it to give it extra sparkle and used 18k gold granules around the stones. It is also gold plated inside.
The locket has room to carry something inside; perhaps some little lava rocks with your favourite essential oil or a photo of a loved one.
Tell us how your jewellery making journey started
I love to travel and enjoyed looking at jewellery from other countries and cultures. I was always looking for jewellery that was different and long lasting so I made the decision to learn how to make jewellery myself so I could express my own artistic ideas.
How would you describe your jewellery in 3 words?
Innovative. Unique. Diverse.
You study Silversmithing & Jewellery at Truro College, why did you choose to join the course?
I was delighted that I could study for a degree in Cornwall. After doing some research I applied for the course and got accepted. The interview was very informative and I was shown around the workshops at the college. It has been an incredible journey and I have pushed my artistic boundaries.
What advice would you give someone who wants to give jewellery making a go but doesn’t know where to start?
I would recommend having a go at jewellery making. You can do evening courses at Truro & Penwith College, which is a great way to see if you enjoy it.
What is your favourite thing about studying the course?
It has opened up a whole new world to me, and I hope to make a career
I have learnt so much since I started and never thought I would enjoy making jewellery as much as I do. I am constantly looking for inspiration and new ideas.
What has been the biggest challenge since starting jewellery making?
The biggest challenge is the technical side of jewellery making. Trying to stay positive when you feel like what you are making is going wrong is tough, but with
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In five years it would be my dream to have set up my own workshop and have my own jewellery design business up and running.
What’s your top 3 favourite gemstones?
What’s one technique you’d love to try next?
I recently bought some 24k gold foil to try
The prize was a £50 Kernowcraft gift voucher! What are you planning on treating yourself to?
That will be a really tough decision because there are so many fabulous products. I love the
Photography credit: Paul Mounsey
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr