Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
We love getting to know our customers through our Meet The Jeweller series. It's wonderful to hear about how their jewellery making journey started, where jewellers find their inspiration for designs and their top tips to succeed in this competitive world of handmade jewellery.
Today we chat to the talented Megan, owner of Olivia Street Jewellery who is a self-taught silversmith inspired by traditional native designs and pop punk. We absolutely love Megan's designs, especially her personalised cuffs (which contain some naughty words now and again!). We find out more about Megan's creative processes, her craft fair top tips, advice for beginners and of course her favourite Kernowcraft supplies!
Hi Meg! Tell us how you discovered your passion for jewellery making
Hey! I've always been super into jewellery; I had a jewellery making party for my 8th birthday and we all sat around my mum's table making friendship bracelets haha!
Then later on about 6 years ago I started buying some basic charms, wire and cord and started to assemble fashion jewellery, but it always felt a bit wrong because I wasn't making them from scratch, so I decided to look into silversmithing and got completely hooked!
Being a self-taught jeweller, what resources did you use to help you?
I like to seek help from a variety of resources, one book I have found really helpful since the beginning is The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight, I would recommend that to any Jeweller whatever your level.
I also look to Instagram where I follow so many talented Jewellers who share their processes and troubleshooting which is really helpful, there are also pages such as Metalsmith Society devoted to sharing knowledge for metalsmiths where I've picked up some really handy tips for the studio!
Describe your jewellery in 3 words!
Handmade every time!
We adore your personalised cuffs - tell us more about the inspiration behind these?
Thank you so much! They're one of my most popular pieces. The cuffs are designed to wear every day and last a lifetime, I love the idea of somebody wearing a special message that only they fully understand and in years to
Why do you think personalised items work so well?
First and foremost there's just something lovely about receiving a piece of jewellery with sentimental value from a loved one that makes you think of them whenever you put it on. On the other
You often attend craft fairs, what would be your top tips for a successful event?
I would say being prepared is really important, I always mock up my stall about a week before the event so I have enough time to buy things in case
Where do you find inspiration for new designs?
I often take inspiration from jewellery of the past.
I'm interested in ancient and traditional native design as well as vintage pieces.
My favourite thing about metalsmithing is how little the processes have changed over time. I'm also inspired by other art forms such as tattooing and ceramics.
Favourite gemstone and why?
Turquoise! I've always loved Native American silversmithing which is often adorned with raw cut Turquoise stones, there's just something about that colour that draws me in.
Tell us about your studio!
My studio is definitely an Aladdin's cave, It's one half of my parent's garage hidden behind a huge chest freezer, bicycles, rakes, Christmas decorations and a lawn mower - and yes it is as difficult to access as it sounds.
However once you make it through it's actually pretty perfect for me, we made my bench from an old kitchen workshop so it's super sturdy and I hang my tools from hooks and magnetic strips.
I've made it my own with a couple of shelves with paintings, postcards, patches and stickers.
Tell us what you get up to on a typical day in the studio
So I usually start each day by writing a list of all the things I need to make/do (I'm a big list
Most of my pieces involve piercing, filing, soldering, hand stamping, then polishing and finally stone setting if needed. When I'm not making I'm doing admin, post office runs and taking photographs of any new products.
What’s your best selling product and why do you think it does so well?
My Torque Bangles are currently my best sellers, they're unisex but are especially popular with men. I love them because they are heavy duty, simple and traditional.
They're made from 6mm thick solid silver wire with 10mm silver balls on each end so they've got a really nice weight to them.
If I'm honest they are actually horrible to make and I usually spend a day cleaning the fire scale off them from all the soldering but so worthwhile when they are finished.
When you’re not
at the bench, what else do you love doing?
I really love to cook, well I say that I think I actually just really love to eat... I also love going to gigs and am partial to a pub quiz.
What would be your workshop soundtrack?
I always listen to music when I work, my playlists are pretty varied, I listen to a lot of pop-punk and I like heavier indie bands but also have a soft spot for soul and Motown music! Sometimes I just put the radio on to find some new artists I like.
What’s one technique you’d love to try or master in the future?
I dabble in basic wax carving at the moment but I would love to get better and begin the actual casting process at home.
What advice would you give anyone wishing to try jewellery making, but not sure where to start?
I would explore different types of jewellery and get an idea of what you may be into making then look into any local beginners courses near you that compliment your style, they often have them at colleges/universities or jewellery workshops.
Top 3 Kernowcraft products you’d recommend and why!
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr