Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
Today we're thrilled to chat to the talented jeweller that is Diane from Dainty Rocks
Diane creates the most beautiful gemstone jewellery and uses many of Kernowcraft's beads within her range of popular designs.
We chat to her all about her journey to starting a handmade jewellery business, how to learn new techniques, the challenges she faces and of course - her favourite Kernowcraft jewellery supplies!
Hi Diane, how did you first discover jewellery making?
I was looking for a necklace for my wedding day and having such a ‘busy' dress, I was looking for something quite specific, and couldn’t find anything.
I was sneakily looking to see how the necklaces were made and trying to figure out if I could do it myself, I could and I did, the finished piece was beautiful to me at the time but a little shocking now I look back on how I finished it, let's say glue and hope held it in place… it started a great passion! No glue nowadays...
What has been your favourite way to learn new techniques?
YouTube or blogs/vlogs are a fabulous way of learning new things, however most is by trial and error and to keep trying.
You focus on beautiful birthstone jewellery, why do you think this is so popular?
Birthstone jewellery is so timeless and elegant. It will always be a popular gift to buy someone and most of us treasure our own birthstones as its personal to us.
What do you enjoy most about jewellery making?
Choosing the gemstones, a kid in a sweetie shop comes to mind.
How would you describe your jewellery in 3 words?
Dainty, elegant, sentimental.
We love your Chakra range, tell us more about the inspiration behind these designs
This is my oldestjewellery line and still one of my best sellers. I was doing a yoga class at the time and getting into the chakras, so I made myself one to wear to 'help me balance’.
Even if you're not into chakra, the colours of the gemstones together are just divine and so eye catching.
Silver or gold?
What are your favourite materials to use when creating beaded jewellery?
The gemstones - so diverse, unique, meaningful and sparkly.
How do you make your workspace your own?
I find it's a relaxing place to be, no matter how busy I am in there, I need to walk out relaxed, I usually have a strong cup of tea, a diffuser running, an audible book on or some meditation/spa music. Alexa is my friend.
It's also a very tiny room, I am sure it's the smallest work room in England, so it has to stay very tidy.
What’s one thing you always look for when seeking gemstones to use in your designs?
Transparency on treatments and something a little different, I have recently bought a couple of gemstone strands from Kernowcraft that I have not seen elsewhere, the turquoise tube beads and lapis beads. Love them both.
What has been your favourite commission and why?
There was one which stood out, someone bought a bracelet for their mum who was being treated for cancer, they asked for specific gemstones. The daughter now wears the bracelet in memory of her mum. Having lost my own mum to cancer, this one and all the others like it will always stick in my mind.
You have a beautiful website to sell your jewellery, how has this helped with your business?
I have always had a website and really love my current website supplier as the platform is so easy to use. It's enabled me to take orders direct and I now have a steady flow of orders coming in via this platform.
What is the most challenging part of running a handmade business?
Two things come to mind and I can’t choose which one. Christmas orders, it's like working every waking moment for 6 weeks but I actually thrive on that; so its a good challenge!
And working from home, it's easy as I can be fairly flexible but it's difficult when you don't have people around you, I miss the banter between work mates and usually do have a whole work day 9-3, without saying a word, except to the cats.
What is your favourite design to make and why?
Without a doubt the Family Birthstone Bracelet, it's the most sentimental.
I have spent years sourcing the birthstones in a similar size and shape to enable me to make these as uniformed as possible, as gemstone strands are all so unique, its an ongoing passion of mine to always have matching gemstones for this, so I am always looking.
What is a design or style you’d love to introduce in the future?
I'm currently working on some anklets and introducing gold fill and vermeil at some point, which feels a bit grown up!
3 supplies you love from Kernowcraft and why!
I use Kernowcraft's polishing papers to finish metal for the initial tags and they are perfect for it, never found anything to rival them, in fact I need more so will be ordering soon!
Diane's Top Kernowcraft Picks
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr