Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
Niki joins us for another instalment of 'A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller'! Sharing a typical day of running a small handmade jewellery business alongside a full-time job.
With a day off work, Niki shares her day focused around a day of making sea glass jewellery and preparing orders. With a peek into her process of drilling sea glass and creating necklaces using our popular sea glass bails! Niki also shares an insight into the tools and supplies she uses, how she photographs her jewellery as well as packaging them up to send off to her customers through her Etsy shop.
We also chat to Niki about her beautiful sea glass jewellery, how her jewellery making journey began and launching an Etsy business below.
Watch Niki's Day In The Life Of A Jeweller
Niki's Top Kernowcraft Products
Leaf bail, epoxy glue & chains - everything I need to create a perfect necklace!
In Niki's Day In The Life video, she shares an insight into drilling sea glass. Watch our tutorial below with detailed instructions and visit our advice page for further guidance, top tips and list of tools and supplies needed.
We've put together a tool kit that contains our recommended tools and supplies needed to make your own drilled sea glass necklace.
This includes our popular Dremel Multi Tool, multi chuck, diamond coated drill bits, pliers and findings needed to complete the design.
Get to know Niki & discover how her jewellery making journey started
Where did you find the inspiration to start creating jewellery using your sea glass finds?
I did a lookbook with Kernowcraft and began to discuss how to make jewellery, I loved their inspirations and guides on how to use products and tools - I’ve also been lucky to receive some incredible jewellery from Cornish artists which made me fall in love with the jewellery making process and being able to give people a piece of a Cornwall
Tell us about your business Created By Niki!
I set up CreatedbyNiki during lockdown in November to keep me entertained alongside my full-time role. I create sterling silver necklaces and earrings and use eco-friendly packaging where I can go provide people with a Cornish gift for themselves or a loved one.
Do you have any beachcombing tips you can share?
Shingle beaches on the south coast, I wear sunglasses to help me see bits easier and so that my eyes don’t get watery! Go at low tide as the sea has just gone out and will unveil beautiful seaglass!
Would you recommend Etsy as a platform for selling your jewellery?
I would - it’s got a great helper community and is a really easy and straightforward platform to upload items! I use Etsy to search for lots of products so I’m sure my jewellery gets out there too.
Are there any other jewellery making techniques you'd like to try in the future?
I’m open to trying anything - but right now I love my simplistic but quality designs!
Why do you think sea glass jewellery is so popular right now?
It’s not to be able to collected treasure from the beach without a cost - if anything it could be seen as recycling! I love naturally shaped, beautiful pieces of seaglass that’s been recycled from the sea - and I think a lot of other people do too! It’s just beautiful!
What does a day in the life look like for you?
I work 8-4pm managing an ESF funded project - after coming home, I either go to the beach, a woodland walk, a swim in the river or maybe just scroll on my phone… it’s completely dependant! I love to cook too so my evenings are usually a time to cook and eat good, healthy meals!
What are your top tips for running a handmade business while working full time?
Doing it on the side has allowed me to enjoy it and not see it as a job - I created and package items when I’m feeling motivated, not because I have to! One of my main tips is to get your packaging prepared, cut up, ready to pack, that way items are quick to package up!
What's one thing you wish you knew before selling your creations?
It’s time consuming and easy to think negatively about your work until someone tells you otherwise. Respect yourself, your time and don’t be afraid to set the rules and boundaries!
We love your photography, can you tell us more about your set up and any tips?
I use a Canon 80D but iPhones are also brilliant! A white or plain background is important, make sure your item is in focus and central - I use a large crystal to display my items as it brings out the colour and looks lovely on white / pink background.
What's your favourite way to market your business?
I use Instagram (createdbyniki) and have also just set up a Facebook page too. I mainly post on these, my personal account (vlogsbyniki) and also on Etsy.
Favourite Cornish beach and why?
Gwithian! No seaglass but is truly mesmerising - 3 miles of golden sand never gets old!
What's your favourite part of running a small handmade business?
The community of small business owners are so supportive and friendly - everyone knows how hard it is, so often support eachother! The feedback is also so good to receive!
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr