Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
Sarah Drew is a Cornish jeweller who makes stunning, contemporary eclectic jewellery. Sarah's designs are so inspirational to us and we think they will be to any jeweller looking to create unique, one-off designs that stand out from the crowd. Using materials such as driftwood, sea plastic, sea glass and pebbles, Sarah uses her surrounding environment to make eco-friendly and ethical jewellery. Discover Sarah's designs and learn more about her inspiration and processes below.
Watch Sarah's day in the life of a jeweller
We asked Sarah to share a day in the life of a jeweller, sharing a tour of her St Austell workshop, her design processes with a peek into making a batch of silver earrings as well as a bezel setting for sea glass. We hope it inspires you to try something new and that you learn new ways to incorporate environmentally friendly practices into your craft.
Learn more about the techniques Sarah uses...
Watch riveting tutorials
In Kim's 12 Months Of Metal series, she shares incredible tutorials on cold connections, with projects like creating a beach pebble rivet ring and a fancy rivet sea glass spinning necklace.
The start of Sarah's journey...
"Making things has always been a passion of mine - I started making jewellery when I was 14, selling 80's style earrings to my friends and teachers at school! I went travelling to Australia and would sell my handmade jewellery to the shops and markets in Sydney. When I returned to the UK I decided to complete a silversmithing jewellery course. I would attend this in the evenings, whilst temping in the day. I then set up my business in 2000. I sell my jewellery through my website, at design fairs, galleries, boutiques and bridal shops. I now also run recycled jewellery workshops."
"Jewellery is such a personal expression, it can transform any outfit and really enhance your day. It has the power to represent a memory like a special day out, or be associated with someone you love. I also like to use materials that challenge conceptions of preciousness. If something has a personal meaning to the owner e.g. something a child gives you or your grandmother's pendant melted down ad re-made, then they have been worn and aged - with so many memories already attached to them. Colour and collage are also a big inspiration to me - I feel lucky to live in Cornwall, surrounded by colour. Beautiful big skies, gorgeous gardens, aqua or moody dark blue seas and vibrant woods - appreciating your surroundings will always allow you to feel inspired."
Sarah uses many natural found materials to make her jewellery, everything from driftwood, to shells, twigs and pebbles. As well as weathered man-made materials such as sea-plastic, sea-string and sea-glass. Sarah combines these finds with chunky, old-looking handmade chains made from recycled silver and gold.
Don't forget to check out our range of recycled silver wire and sheet for your handmade jewellery designs with Kernowcraft.
Sourcing materials to re-use can be a challenge, and making jewellery with them can be even harder, we asked Sarah how she does it!
"I spend a lot of time outdoors in Cornwall. I collect curious things and have come to know different areas for different kinds of treasures. For example I get driftwood and sea-glass from Pentewan, sea plastic and sea string from Watergate Bay or Mawgan Porth. As well as using the environment to find recycled materials, I am a keen jumble sale forager and eager car-booter always on the look out for antique jewellery pieces. I use silver and wirework techniques to combine vintage brooches and chains with old glass beads, fused old silver or gold and semi-precious stones. The idea for the design starts with the piece I've found. By laying out colours I can see what may work well together. For example, I might put 3-5 pieces of sea-plastic down in a circle, with my favourite in the middle. I'll then see what stones fo well the palette and plan what silver pieces to make and put with them. Sometimes I do have a design in mind, and in that case I will go out looking for specific materials in specific sizes."
"When working with the materials I often crochet settings around sea glass or wire wrap it to avoid having to drill it - as that is a tricky job. The sea plastic and driftwood however are easy to drill and then connect to wire!"
Discover drill bits
Diamond coated drill bits
These quality twist drills are electroplated with diamond particles, they are the ultimate for drilling glass, gemstones, sea glass, pearls or ceramics. The technique for drilling is slightly different from the drilling metals; they need to be used at a slow speed and water must be used as a lubricant. Available in a variety of diameters.
Photography: Lucy Turnbull Photography
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr