Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
Today we are excited to find out more about Julia from Bijoux De Chagall!
We always love finding out more about our loyal customers, their story and how they got started in their jewellery making journey. Julia has been making jewellery for over a year now and we are always so inspired by her designs, such as her most recent jewellery showcasing our peridot rough stones.
Julia chats about being featured in Vogue, running a website and even getting her husband involved in the business! Read below for the full story...
"Just recently I have handed my resignation in at my day job and will be going full-time with Bijoux in June. Who would have thought it a year ago!"
As far back as I can remember, jewellery has always been a big passion for me. As I came from an artistic background, it was no surprise that I studied Art & Design. Soon after graduating from Art & Design College I got a job as a Set & Costume Designer at a Film Studio. Over time I adapted my creative skills to computers and so became a Graphic Designer.
Just over a year ago I decided to try my hand at making jewellery. In my
Discovering 'Aladdin's Cave' Kernowcraft...
I remember coming across an Aladdin’s cave called Kernowcraft on a web search and so the seed was sown! I soon built up a basic tool-kit and gathered together various materials and gemstones using my day job money to fund everything. I then set about making my first ring, it was a fairly basic sterling silver opal solitaire. One of the first hurdles I had to get over was learning how to solder & how to set gemstones. I soon found out that both these tasks were an art form in themselves. But after many tears and spoiled pieces, watching many tutorial videos and reading as much as possible, I gradually got the hang of it. I progressed to making pendants, earrings and more simple rings. As my confidence grew I started to design more elaborate and complicated pieces.
Keep believing and don't lose hope!
As my collection grew a decision was made to open an Etsy shop and an e-commerce website. Obviously being a Graphic Designer helped a great deal too as it enabled me to create an inviting shop and website and it saved me a lot of money. I already had a basic knowledge of photography so this helped me to produce nice pictures as well. Within a couple of weeks I had my first sale, I remember it well, it was a personalised silver pendant necklace. Over the next few months sales were coming in slowly but surely. Patience is essential during this time, so do not lose hope and keep believing in yourself. Things never happen quickly at the beginning until you get your name out there and get on the Etsy radar, it just takes time.
Appearing in Vogue and going full time...
In October 2016 my husband and I opened a business account and Bijoux De Chagall had officially arrived. During the next six months I was able to grow my collection to over 50 pieces. In early 2017 we were approached by Glamour & Vogue magazines asking us if we would like to advertise with them. We accepted and are currently nearing the end of a three-month campaign with both. Although not cheap, it has certainly helped with sales traffic to the website and to a degree with Etsy as well and sales have since had really started to take off. So much so in fact, I have not been able to create many new designs recently, although I have loads bursting out of my head! Still, I am not complaining, I would rather it be this way. Just recently I have handed my resignation in at my day job and will be going full-time with Bijoux in June. Who would have thought it a year ago!
How to stand out in a competitive industry...
I believe you need to be passionate about what you do and you need to put your soul into everything you make. Unique designs and presentation play a key role too and if possible you need to offer something different to your customers as competition is very fierce. I personally hand-paint all my gift boxes. Although this is quite time-consuming it does set me apart from many others.
Another thing you need is support. My Husband Allan, takes care of all admin, postage, advertising and the sourcing of gemstones and materials amongst other things. Apart from the initial outlay, everything else has been funded by the business. It does take a lot of money to put together a decent tool-kit but I can assure you it’s well worth it in the end. By the way, I still make mistakes but I am still learning.
I hope my story has been of help and interest and if it provides you with any inspiration then that’s even better and I hope it helps you to succeed at what you love doing.
Julia – Bijoux De Chagall.
Where can you find Julia?
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr