Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
With wedding season just around the corner, we wanted to chat to William White all about his stunning handmade jewellery - especially to find out more about the design process of his engagement rings! Coming from an engineering background, Will's talent and preciseness have enabled him to create simple designs that really have the wow factor, centring all the focus on the gemstone being used.
Dominated by Etsy sales from America, Will shares how his working day is influenced by this and gives an insight into how to secure those sales on Etsy, where he has over 2,900 sales.
Is a diamond still the stone for an engagement ring, what's the best thing about being a jeweller in Cornwall and what's the secret to the perfect photo? Will shares all below...
Hi Will, tell us about your background and how you discovered jewellery making
I have done all sorts of jobs over the years, product and interior design, engineering etc. all designing and working with my hands. However in my last job as a vacuume cleaner designer I ended up managing more than making, so I started an evening class in jewellery making.
I missed the hands on making and this filled the gap.
Coming from an engineering and design background, how has this helped with your designs?
My designs are simple and a little scientific looking, this must be from my engineering background. I get inspired by big science projects and space exploration.
A couple of years ago I designed a ring for a lady who’s husband worked on the mars rover project, what a great project!
How would you describe your style in 3 words?
Simple, contemporary, precise.
Tell us more about designing engagement rings and the inspiration behind them
I like to design rings around the stone or stones. If the stone is hard or soft, the shape, cut and colour. What gold, setting,
There are lots of factors that can
"Being American centric affects my whole business, what time of day I post on Etsy, Instagram and Facebook, my prices are all worked out in dollars, the level of customer service has to be high, even how I spell jewellery..."
Most of your orders come from the US, why do you think this is and how does this affect your working day?
A large percentage of my orders come through Etsy. As Etsy is a US company, most of my work comes from there. It seems to me Americans are more used to buying expensive items online, they have more confidence shopping that way.
Being American centric affects my whole business, what time of day I post on Etsy,
What’s your favourite thing about being a jeweller in Cornwall?
Because I sell online and don’t need much space, I could live anywhere in the country. That’s why I ended up in Cornwall, it’s a bit like living and working on
What do you like about working with a customer on an engagement ring? Tell us more about the process.
Often the customer has a rough idea of what they want, some even send drawings. It’s my job to interpret their ideas
How the client lives their life can be a factor. A pianist will need a different ring design than a gardener.
What does a normal day look like for you?
First thing I
What do you think people expect from an engagement ring in 2019?
I think everyone wants something different, but if they have come to me they are probably after something very simple. I tend to make single stone rings with a minimal setting, let the stone do the talking.
You have an incredible following, what advice would you give to other jewellers wanting to get their pieces out there?
Have a look at the quality of every aspect of your jewellery business, not just the jewellery. Your photos, customer service, your online presence, if you’re on Etsy get familiar with tags, titles and descriptions etc. It will help your SEO.
Favourite gemstone and why?
Have you found that diamonds are still the most popular stone to use in an engagement ring?
Yes, although I make a lot of Moissanite rings as an ethical alternative. I do think sapphires give you more for your money. If you spend as much on
Your photography is stunning, tell us more about your set up!
My partner takes all my photographs these days, though I started out doing it myself. I have a Nikon DSLR camera which is pretty good. We only photograph first thing in the morning before the sun has come over the house. My outhouse has a plastic roof so the light is diffused. It’s all about using
What has been the most challenging design and why?
My particle collision ring was very tricky, all the spikes have to be soldered in one go.
Do you have any advice for jewellers wishing to take on an engagement ring commission?
Make exactly what your customer has asked for and do a drawing if
Don’t be frightened of setting a diamond, they are the most forgiving stone to set because they are so hard.
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr