Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
14k rose gold filled, fuchsia and aqua chalcedony lariat necklace from Carolyn's 'Flower & Rain' collection.
Beading is such a wonderful hobby and gives you the chance to experiment with all kinds of designs using wire-wrapping techniques, different metals, findings and gemstone beads. The possibilities are endless! You can browse our range of gemstone beads here.
Discovering jewellery making in 2018, Carolyn has grown an impressive business and following but it's no surprise due to her eye for detail and beautiful gemstone combinations. We chat to Carolyn all about how her jewellery making journey began, her recommended beading tools and you even get to meet her studio assistant!
Hi Carolyn, tell us about your handmade jewellery business and how it all started!
Hi! Thank you so much for inviting me. It started in June 2018, when a work colleague showed me some of the jewellery she’d made. I was looking for a new hobby at the time as my life was all about work and study (I’m studying Forensic Psychology with the Open University) and needed something that was totally different and would help me relax.
I started with glass beads but after researching different materials my work quickly evolved to using gemstones and fine metals exclusively. In August 2018 I set up my little Etsy shop. There’s nothing quite like someone wanting to purchase a piece of jewellery you’ve made with your own two hands. It’s very rewarding.
Are you a self-taught jeweller?
Yes, although you could say YouTube was my tutor! I spent a lot of time researching different methods and this is when I started to really love using wire in my designs.
What is your favourite thing about working with gemstone beads and wire?
I think my favourite thing about using wire is that I can make every aspect of a piece of jewellery; my own chains, clasps, ear wires. It’s such a fun process and the finished piece is completely handcrafted, which is such a lovely feeling, you really feel as though you have achieved something.
To then combine this with the beauty of gemstones – it’s just so exciting. I have a huge gemstone addiction.
Tell us about your workspace!
I wanted my little workshop to be a relaxing space, somewhere I would feel comfortable and love spending time. It’s very light and serene, with gentle pastel accents.
I desperately wanted it to be a tidy space, but I’ve come to accept that I’m not a tidy jewellery maker. I love having all the different wires and gems around me. Although it looks a complete mess to the outsider, to me it’s my happy place.
Gold or silver?
This is a tough one – I think both have a place in my jewellery. They both offer something different.
What are your essential beading tools?
I would say my essential tools are my fine round nose pliers, Xuron tweezer-nose pliers and flush cutters, and my bail making pliers, which I use to form my ear wires and clasps. I’m always on the lookout for even finer round and chain nose pliers (also known as snipe nose pliers), as I like most of my wire jewellery to be quite delicate and dainty.
We love your packaging, tell us more about the design process!
Thank you! My packaging has evolved over the last few months and I’m sure it will continue to evolve but my main objective is to combine gorgeous aesthetics with eco-friendly materials. It’s very important to me that my packaging is beautiful and makes my customers feel very special when they receive my jewellery but it’s also very important to me that the material’s I use are not harmful to the environment.
I would like every part of my packaging to be from 100% recycled material that can be 100% recyclable. I think I’m at around 80%. It’s difficult to combine these two aspects but I’m always researching new materials and companies so I hope over time I will achieve my goal.
Tell us about your studio assistant, Bumble!
Hehe! Bumble is my gorgeous cat who was meant to be a British Shorthair but, as you can see, came out a bit wrong with his luscious long locks! He constantly assists me in my jewellery making process and he especially loves to sort the gemstones and wire – one day he was feeling particularly helpful and jumped up onto my worktop, tipping all my findings onto the floor.
Your photography is beautiful, what are your top tips?
Thank you so much! I’ve always loved photography and carry a camera with me where ever I go. However, product photography has been a new skill that I’ve had to learn and which I still haven’t mastered by any means, but I’ve really enjoyed the process. My three top tips would be: always use natural light if possible as I think it gives the best and most beautiful affect to whatever is being photographed; try not to use filters such as those found on Instagram – it’s ok to tweak with editing tools but to me filters take away the natural beauty of the jewellery; keep backgrounds simple, anything too patterned can detract from whatever is being photographed.
Top 3 favourite gemstones?
What’s one technique you’d like to try/master and why?
I would love to try silversmithing as it looks fun.
Do you enjoy any other creative hobbies?
I love reading, photography and hiking. Not all creative but still fun!
What’s something you wish you knew before setting up your business?
How to keep accounts!
What are your favourite Kernowcraft products?
All are beautiful and great quality.
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr