Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
Today we chat to the wonderful Elise from The Messy Creative! We absolutely love how Elise combines elements of print work with her jewellery, really making her designs stand out. We chat all about discovering jewellery making, being creative in childhood, working with brass, creating a brand to how life in Cornwall fills her with inspiration. We hope you enjoy getting to know Elise and her creative business - check out our Meet The Jeweller series for more interviews!
"I love organic shapes inspired by my coral prints and have a range of earrings based on the four elements - Earth, Water, Fire, Air..."
Hi Elise, tell us about The Messy Creative and the inspiration behind your handmade business
Hi! Well, I initially set up The Messy Creative as an anonymous Instagram page in late 2016, I wanted a place to share my creativity alongside my full time job, without people knowing it was me… that seems a bit silly now but I think I just wanted a pressure-free place to share.
Then in mid-2017 I decided to open an Etsy shop and I revealed my face for the first time. My shop initially just sold my handmade lino and screen prints, I now incorporate my jewellery in too.
Tell us more about the range of products you create
For my jewellery range, I make with a mix of brass, silver and polymer clay. I love organic shapes inspired by my coral prints and have a range of earrings based on the four elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air).
I think earrings are my favourite thing to make and wear, you can do so many things and they can jazz up any outfit (especially if you live in monochrome like me!). I also do a range of prints, both lino and screen print, which range from coral pattern, to ice lollies, to Cornish harbours!
"I love creating so I see it as an escape or my downtime..."
We love your use of brass - what is it about this metal you like using?
Again, thank you! I love the colour and how easy it is to cut out and shape. When I made the initial pair of earrings I wanted something gold coloured but more accessibly priced so I was able to play around with design ideas without being too precious. It also means I can price designs affordably for the ‘statement’ pieces.
How do you juggle working full time and running The Messy Creative?
I spend a few evenings a week on The Messy Creative as well as all day on Saturdays. I love creating so I see it as an escape or my downtime. There are also a lot of lists, sketchbooks and ideas that go unchecked for a long time, as I just don’t have all the time I’d like to put into it, but it is about balance. I can’t go full time with it yet, but one day I’d love to!
When did you first try your hand at jewellery making?
I used to play around with beading when I was in my early teens, I then took a beginners class in silver jewellery making whilst I was in college (I think 12 years ago now?!). I then went on and did my City & Guilds qualification straight afterwards, I was hooked almost immediately with silver and loved the processes involved in making something from a piece of metal. I had a 5/6 year sabbatical before digging my tools out again and starting my coral earring collection last August!
We love your branding! Tell us more about the process behind it
Thank you! My logo is by a local graphic designer Lisa Claire Stewart Design, we actually met on Instagram through her other business, Studio Lowen and discovered we only lived 10 minutes apart, we’re now really good friends! I’d really recommend Lisa for any branding or illustration project, she completely ‘got me’ when I was explaining what I wanted and I really struggled picking a favourite design from the ones she sent across, I absolutely love my logo now and it’s really inspired the rest of my brand image.
"just getting outside and near the sea can be all I need to gather my thoughts and get inspired with new ideas..."
What was your first creative hobby growing up?
I was always a fan of crafts, my mum is a great seamstress, so I did a lot of sewing, but 'gluing & sticking' was my favourite. Then it moved back to textiles, then to jewellery and then to printing and now a mix... I think I am a craft-a-holic!
How does living in Cornwall inspire your designs?
Oh endlessly! I am constantly inspired by my surroundings; the buildings, the beaches and the shapes of the sea... like many people that live here, just getting outside and near the sea can be all I need to gather my thoughts and get inspired with new ideas.
"I still had my jewellery making kit and I really wanted a pair of earrings in a shape I'd recently printed. So I decided to order some brass and give it a go..."
How did you decide to start incorporating jewellery techniques into your shop?
It was a really happy accident, I still had my jewellery making kit and I really wanted a pair of earrings in a shape I'd recently printed. So I decided to order some brass and give it a go using brass as the coral shape and polymer clay for the ear piece with stainless steel ear posts. I shared them on Instagram and so many people got in touch wanting some, so I thought 'why the heck not?!'.
Tell us about your workspace and how you make it your own!
My workspace is our little spare bedroom, I had a waist height desk fitted by my dad (when my husband was at work…) so I can print easily and it is perfect height for jewellery too! I like to have a lot of art on the walls and I am forever sticking ideas, notes and reminders up. I think I really make it my own by living by my business name… it is very messy.
Are there any further jewellery making techniques you'd like to explore?
I’d love to give resin casting a go. I have so many ideas of what I’d like to incorporate… think beachy/coral vibes. I also want to practice my stone setting skills, which I haven’t done for quite a few years now!
Who is one creative you're loving right now and why?
Oh this is a tough question, there are so many amazing makers out there! I think I will keep it jewellery/printing related – someone I have been following for a while and does a great mix of new and vintage jewellery, ceramics and printing, @Lois.gunn!
Follow The Messy Creative
Watch Elise In Action...
Make Your Own Jewellery With Kernowcraft
Shop jewellery making tools and supplies
Elise uses brass metal sheet in her handmade jewellery designs but you can choose from copper, bronze, sterling silver and gold sheet available from our range of sheet.
Jump rings are essential for joining jewellery components together. Choose from our wide range, available in a variety of sizes and metals to choose from.
You will need to attach your designs to the earstuds with glue - we recommend gently scratch both the flat pad and (if possible) the item to be glued on, to provide a good 'key' for the glue to adhere to.
These surgical steel earstuds are sold as a pack of 10
Our recommended glue for jewellery making is the Devcon 5 minute epoxy glue, it's a reliable glue which is fast drying, high strength and creates high quality bonds to metal, gemstones, glass, ceramic, concrete and wood. Great for all kinds of crafts as well as household repairs.
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr