Meet The Jeweller Behind Louella Jewellery
Welcome to our feature, 'Meet The Jeweller'. We chat to our customers to find out how their jewellery making journey started, their experiences and a little bit more about the person behind the jewellery!
This week we chat to Louella from Louella Jewellery who is based in Devon, where she creates such stunning designs - we chat Cornish beaches, favourite techniques and those tools she just couldn't live without...
Hi Louella, firstly tell us a little bit about yourself and Louella Jewellery!
I was born in Cornwall, and it was my experience growing up in a Cornish farmhouse and spending time exploring the surrounding landscapes and local shorelines that sparked my fascination with nature. After studying film at Falmouth University I realised that although this was something I enjoyed, it was not something I enjoyed enough to make my career out of it.
What first inspired your jewellery making journey?
My passion for making jewellery came later. I took up silverwork as a hobby, but it was while working as the manager of an art gallery and selling other people’s creations that I realised there could be an opportunity for me to combine three things that I loved – Cornwall, crafting, and the natural world around me – within my metalwork. I decided to try and forge a new career doing something that I was passionate about whilst uniting these founding elements to build the framework for my own business. The difficulty came neither in creating the pieces nor setting up the business but believing that it could be a success.
Have your surroundings influenced your designs at all and if so, how?
I lived in Cornwall until 18 months ago when I moved to Dartmoor, however Cornwall still plays a large role in my life and my work. The influence of Cornwall’s natural landscapes can be seen throughout my work, my designs are raw and organic and also include natural curiosities such as sea glass and shells sourced directly from Cornwall.
What's your favourite technique and why?
Oh that’s a tricky one! My favourite part of the process is definitely designing new pieces but my favourite technique... that would have to be setting irregular, raw stones. It presents a challenge but great satisfaction!
What advice would you give to someone thinking about starting a jewellery business?
Believe you can. Have faith in your work and your journey and try everything, every technique until you find your unique style.
Have you learned anything about yourself since starting a jewellery business?
Most definitely. I have learnt that it never feels like work if you love what you do, but I need to remember not to work ALL the time! I have achieved more than I ever thought possible so I try to have a little more faith in myself now (that’s still a challenge sometimes!).
What has your experience been at events and what advice would you give someone doing their very first jewellery stall or exhibition?
I love doing shows, they are long and hard work but social and fun. I would say, allow more time than you think you need, take lots to drink as you end up talking all day and don’t be afraid to talk about your work, tell customers about it because they aren’t just buying your jewellery, they are buying the skill, the story and the process. Also take your wallet because you’ll see so many beautiful things from other makers!
What is your top three workshop tools you couldn't live without?
My hammers, definitely my hammers. I use them daily and I’m very precious about them! Next my pliers (the Kernowcraft ones are the best as they don’t make your hands sore). I also love my alligator tape, I used to be covered in cuts and that stops it completely!
What is your favourite piece of jewellery you have ever made and why?
I have just made my fiancé’s wedding ring and so that is most definitely my favourite piece! Before
Where would we find you after a long day at the work bench?
Walking on the moors or curled up with a cup of tea and my fiancé under my animals.
Where can you find Louella Jewellery?
Website - Etsy - Facebook - Instagram
Check out Loella's top Kernowcraft picks
I love the Australian opals. The fire in them is incredible and opals just lift any design. A magic little stone.
Also in this section:
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr