Personalised Jewellery With Trinkets By Moonlight
Today, we're thrilled to introduce you to Heidi, the jewellery designer behind 'Trinkets By Moonlight'.
Heidi creates beautiful jewellery, focusing on personalised items from pendants, keyrings to bookmarks! Working as a Holistic Therapist and then becoming full time mum, she tried jewellery making for the first time and fell in love. Now Heidi runs her own handmade jewellery business at home in her garden workshop.
Read the interview below, where we find out more about Heidi's jewellery making background, favourite techniques and why she loves creating personalised jewellery.
Hi Heidi, tell me about yourself and how you discovered jewellery making
I have a very strange looking CV indeed, which almost reads like I've made it up! I studied Archaeology at University and always hoped to go on to work with the Police Forensics, however, after graduating I found that jobs were very far and few between so I ended up in an office job at
After training over a few years I qualified in a wide range of holistic therapies including reflexology and aromatherapy. I truly loved treating people and making them feel better and I ran my own business as a holistic therapist for nearly 8 years. However, when I had children that all changed, I was so tired all the time (neither of my beautiful babies enjoyed sleeping at night!). I just didn't have the energy to go back to holistic therapies! After a few years of being a full-time
I went to my local college and trained in the basics of silversmithing and I was hooked! I loved the fact that you could make a plain piece of metal into something beautiful that someone would treasure forever. In a way it was still fulfilling my need to help someone feel better, creating jewellery which they could have personalised with special words of encouragement, names of family members or special dates all acting as a constant reminder on their wrist or necklace of their loved ones. Jewellery which hopefully would make them smile!
You specialise in personalised jewellery, tell us what kind of pieces you offer
I love making personalised pieces of jewellery, sometimes I have absolutely no idea what the sentiment means and I love that fact that only the recipient would understand the message. Other times it can be lyrics of a song that is special to the customer and I spend all day in my workshop with that song going round and round in my head. I make a wide range of personalised items from small copper keyrings and bookmarks which often have dates or coordinates of a special destination on them to sterling silver cuff bangles or matching heart pendants for mothers and daughters.
What’s been the most special piece of jewellery you’ve created and why?
Each piece of jewellery I make is special, I put my complete heart into each and every piece I make be it a small keyring or a bespoke pendant. No matter the cost of the jewellery I'm still putting my everything into making sure I'm perfectly happy with it before it's sent out, and unfortunately for me, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm definitely my toughest critic! Some of the pieces which stand out for me most are the pieces I make which are in memory of loved ones. I recently made a hot air balloon pendant for a lovely customer and friend of mine in memory of her daughter who was sadly stillborn, her two other children believe that she floats around in the sky in a hot air balloon so I created her a sterling silver hot air balloon pendant with copper basket with her little girls name stamped on the back. It was a real pleasure to make and my customer was really happy with the outcome.
What’s your favourite way to texture metal?
My favourite way to texture metal is my faithful hammers. I have several to create different textures but I have an old one which I use the most to give a dimpled look. I would love to get a rolling mill one day to experiment with different textures, that's on my ever-growing list of techniques to learn!
Tell us about your workshop and how you’ve made it your own!
I have a lovely cosy workshop in my back garden, Trinkets HQ! My very clever husband built me a workshop and painted the inside a beautiful dark green so it's a great place to be. I have a heater out there with me so I don't get cold in the winter and a spare seat for when my daughters are called in to help me with packing orders up when times get busy! I have a pin board where I make mood boards for inspiration and lots of pictures of my precious family!
How do you find inspiration for new designs?
I enjoy thinking up new designs and can be inspired by many different things be it a walk in the forest, a scrap of wrapping paper or just a beautiful gemstone. I find that often at night when I get into bed my brain starts coming up with different designs, I keep a notebook by the side of my bed as often when I get in bed it's the first time in the day when everything is just quiet and I am alone with my thoughts and then as I am dozing off the ideas seem to flow!
What tools and techniques do you use for your personalised items?
My most used tools are my saw, heavy brass hammer, my steel block and my letter stamps! Each letter is individually stamped by hand, letter by letter, sometimes I think I must drive my neighbours mad with the banging! I love making personalised pieces, but I also enjoy the whole process of creating a new design! I have a long list of new techniques I would like to learn, but there literally isn't enough hours in the day!
Tell us about your packaging!
Packaging! Argh! I am constantly updating my packaging! I think when someone purchases jewellery which is handmade they want that something a bit extra. I want my customers to feel special from the moment they contact me to the moment they receive that parcel through the letterbox. I want the opening of the package to be part of the whole experience so I always make sure it's beautifully packaged in a Trinkets By Moonlight branded box, with a thank you note, polishing cloth and card which tells you how to look after your jewellery. I've recently started using recyclable packaging too as I use so much packaging throughout the year I wanted to make sure I was being as eco-friendly as I could.
What’s your favourite gemstone?
My favourite gemstone has to be blue chalcedony, I have tried other gemstones but I'm always drawn to this one. I love that it reminds me of the sea, blue sky in the summer and I love the colour against the darkness of oxidised silver.
What’s your favourite metal to work with and why?
I mainly use sterling silver but I love copper! I just adore the different colours you can get from copper, how it begins all shiny and new looking but using a hammer to give it a texture and then liver of sulphur to oxidise it can make it look completely different, really rustic and old.
Why do you think personalised items are so popular?
I think personalised items are really popular as it turns a simple gift like a bangle into something just that extra bit special. The surprise when someone opens a present and then sees that it has been made specifically with them in mind, with a message which is completely personal to them makes that person realise that you have put that extra bit of thought into their gift, it makes them feel loved and special, then every time they wear it and look at it they'll remember that they are special and that in turn will make them smile! I know cheesy but true.
your jewellery making goals? are
I am hoping to expand my business this year, I have started the year with many lists! I also have several techniques which I would like to try such as enamelling. I have wanted to master this for a while and every now and again I have a try but I would really like to get good at this so I could start incorporating it into my work, I love all the different beautiful colours you can create.
Top 3 Kernowcraft products
I love using Kernowcraft and have done for many years. I had a great surprise one day when we were on holiday in St Agnes in Cornwall and went out for a bike ride around the beautiful surrounding countryside and came across a little building which said Kernowcraft! I suddenly remembered that of
I use Kernowcraft for all my cabochons, they have such a great variety and perfect for my birthstone jewellery!
Sterling silver bezel settings are a great way to save time especially the small stone settings which I always find tricky to make myself.
And thirdly alligator tape. This is a lifesaver for my poor fingers! Before I discovered this the ends of my fingers were so sore and could easily get cut, my hands are still dirty silversmiths hands, but the cuts are a lot less now!
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr