Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
"My jewellery is about finding 'your happy'."
We're back with another 'Meet The Jeweller' feature and today we can't wait to share our interview with Olivia from The Sea Tree Company.
We absolutely love Olivia's outlook on gemstones and creating mindful jewellery with gemstone stacks and sterling silver jewellery. Olivia encourages customers to wear their pieces of gemstone jewellery with intention - that's why she uses the hashtag #wearyourintentions. Whether you believe that gemstones hold a special meaning, have healing properties or you're simply are attracted to certain stones - gemstones can hold a personal meaning.
In this interview, we find out more about Olivia's beautiful handmade jewellery, life in the Cotswold countryside and managing her busy lifestyle as a working mum to 6 children.
"I am fascinated with gemstones and the way they attract people. Some people are huge believers of the power they hold, some are drawn to their colour, their sparkle. Some are intrigued with the meanings connected with them. Whatever the reasons and beliefs; gemstones draw you in..."
Tell us about the Sea Tree Company?
The Sea Tree Company consists of just me (with my supportive husband and children behind me!) I make gemstone stacking bracelets and sterling silver jewellery.
What is the Ethos of your handmade business?
I am fascinated with gemstones and the way they attract people. Some people are huge believers of the power they hold, some are drawn to their colour, their sparkle. Some are intrigued with the meanings connected with them. Whatever the reasons and beliefs; gemstones draw you in.
I sell in a few shops as well as online and I just love to see customers eyes widening and coming over to where the bracelets are. They avidly read the meanings of the gemstones, then try them on. They tell me stories about why they or their friends would need this or that gemstone. They walk away feeling positive, energised and purposeful.
I use the hashtag #wearyourintentions on my social media as I am inspired by their life stories and understand that when they wear their bracelets they set an intention. A reminder. I recently had a customer who bought online. She emailed me to say that she had been so nervous about giving a speech at work but she wore one of my gemstone bracelets which promoted self-esteem. It was all she needed to give her the boost to stand up in front of a lot her colleagues. Just a little reminder, a comfort, to give her the confidence that she could achieve this even though the thought of it made her legs feel wobbly!
How did you first discover jewellery making?
I have absolutely fallen into jewellery making. I am an active person and love being outdoors especially by the sea. That is my ultimate happy place. Three years ago I tore my Achilles Tendon. A complete shock. I couldn’t move for 2 weeks, total rest and stuck in plaster and then I had three months in a ‘boot’ with a wheelchair. Such a fuss! It drove me mad as I am not very good at doing nothing.
My husband is Cornish and we spent a lot of that summer down on the beach as I couldn’t walk, bike, climb mountains or any of the other things I love doing.
I have always been creative but with a large family to look after, this side had been neglected and ignored for years. However, sitting on those beautiful Cornish beaches unable to run about I started feeling the joy you get when you let those creative vibes back in!
I started to paint stones and pebbles, then I’d paint the smaller ones and make them into necklaces (using bails from Kernowcraft), then I started hunting for sea glass; (which really is the best pastime), I made these into necklaces and then added them to gemstone bracelets and so it went on, learning more, making more, discovering more and loving all of it! I now run a website and sell in three shops.
I have expanded my jewellery to focus on the gemstones but watch this space as the silver and sea glass will be making a return too!
Favourite gemstone and why?
I really don’t have a favourite gemstone. To me that is the whole point. I feel differently on different days, months, times of the year.
I will pick up a Rose Quartz Gemstack if I want to remind myself I am loved and cherished, I will wear Sesame Jasper if I want to feel nurtured, Citrine if I want to rejoice in happiness and positivity. Wearing them inspires me to feel good. I wear combinations too. Stacking them as I go.
I make Limited Edition Stacks, these are linked with the outdoors. At the moment I have a Sea Stack which includes Amazonite, sterling silver and Lava Rock. The colours remind me of the sea, the silver that you see from the sun dancing on the waves, and the rock where the sea meets the land.
I sold one of those recently to a wonderful artist, @artistmelcormackhicks, a fine artist who paints stunning pictures of the sea and woods. She bought it as a reminder of the sea that she misses desperately when she goes back to her home in the Cotswolds.
Favourite tool and why?
Ha! Well… um... it is actually a nail manicure cuticle cutter! It is very sharp and I can cut close and precisely through elastic and cotton. It is brilliant when I am doing any fiddly bits with the jewellery, it gets right in there and works its magic.
"Making jewellery has sparked a passion in me..."
How has jewellery helped you?
Making jewellery has sparked a passion in me. I have to reign myself in constantly. I want to sell rings (watch out Kernowcraft, I’m browsing your website as we speak!), I want to make silver bangles, drill sea glass, cast shells that I find on the beach. There is so much I want to do, to learn.
I use the Kernowcraft website for tips, step by step help and inspiration. I speak to other jewellers who are either self-taught or have been focussed on making jewellery right from leaving school, gaining amazing qualifications and experience on the way. The kindness I have received, the advice and also people on social media going out of their way to help promote The Sea Tree Company has been very uplifting and has kept me going when I have been very busy juggling day to day life whilst setting up the website (it took ages!)
Tell us about your workspace and how you make it your own!
I love my workspace. It’s the only place in the house which is entirely mine. I have pictures of puffins on the wall in front of me and a picture of a white-washed shed with hens pecking around. I like to think I’ll have a workshop like this one day, although having hens around my feet when I am trying to create beautiful jewellery might not be a good idea in reality!
I have tons of gemstones, carefully stored away and organised in drawers but my work bench is normally a completely chaotic, wonderfully creative mess!
"My husband and I have six fantastic children between us (yes, I did say six!). I also work in a book shop as well as creating jewellery for The Sea Tree Company so life is vibrant and busy..."
Favourite Spot in Cornwall and why?
Cornwall is a very special place and is very much a part of me. I am not a fan of crowds and would much rather be somewhere enjoying the sea breeze and fresh air alone or with my family and a few friends. So I love Cornwall especially out of season; when it is blowing a gale, or pouring down making my Cornish pasty go soggy.
I love the turquoise seas in the summer but won’t be sitting between the sun umbrellas, dodging frizbees. My husband found a place a few summers ago. He scanned the coastline for unknown coves, he’s a brilliant map reader. We had to climb down a steep rock face but ended up on this beautiful, white sandy cove with crystal clear waters. It really was paradise. I would let you in on the secret but I honestly don’t know where it was. I guess I should start learning to map read!
How do you find the balance of creating jewellery part time?
My husband and I have six fantastic children between us (yes, I did say six!).
I also work in a book shop as well as creating jewellery for The Sea Tree Company so life is vibrant and busy. I have to work hard to balance my life and deliver well for all but although you might find me a little tired at times I love it and really wouldn’t have it any other way.
In fact when the children have grown you will most probably find me up numerous hills and mountains, exploring beaches and the coast lines with my husband who like me can’t sit still either!
Top 3 favourite Kernowcraft supplies and why?
Well apart from your wide range of authentic and high-quality gemstones. I love your sterling silver charms and findings and also the different coloured hemp cord you sell - I use this to tie the Gemstone Meaning Cards to the jewellery ready to be sent off to their new homes!
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr