Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
We're back with another 'Meet The Jeweller' and today we're thrilled to introduce you to Nicola Bottono, a jeweller based in Cornwall creating stunning designs and running exciting workshops for jewellers. She's been a customer of Kernowcraft for over 25 years and we always love seeing what Niki's up to.
We admire Nicola's hard-working attitude, unique designs and how she works with different metals such a mokume gane to create something out of the ordinary.
Discover Nicola's intricate pieces, the meaning behind her pendants and how she continues to develop her skills... you can also scroll down to the bottom of the page to discover Nicola's top recommendations from Kernowcraft too.
"It's so rewarding to see people proudly wearing their finished piece. My students are always amazed at what they achieve..."
Hi Niki, tell us about yourself and how your jewellery making journey started
My story began when my father died. Bereft and consumed by my grief, I realised I had to switch focus. I applied to Truro College to enrol on a B.A. in Silversmithing and Jewellery. Here I fully applied myself to the aspects of design and construction of jewellery and vessels. The journey led to a personal transformation, redefining myself as a creative practitioner.
What is the inspiration behind your designs and are you influenced by living in Cornwall?
My designs are inspired by the nature and landscape of my home county. I spent a lot of my childhood out fishing with my dad, learning about plants, wildlife and aquatic species. But also the warmth of Cornish people, always up for a chat and a laugh, but if you need a friend, the door's always open and the kettle's always on.
Where do you design and make your jewellery?
I have a studio at Krowji, in Redruth. I designed the layout of the room so that my tools and equipment are close to hand. This makes me more productive and everything runs smoothly. Well mostly, a fair bit of swearing goes on! I have a bench across the back wall that accommodates three people which allows me to teach one to one or small group workshops. This works well as I can give students my full attention. It's difficult to sit and wait for help when you haven't got a clue what to do next. Been there, done that.
We adore your vessel pendants, what was the inspiration behind these?
My vessel pendants are in essence, 'Memory Keepers'. They allow treasured memories to be stored and worn close to the heart, creating connection and comfort. To me, their function is as important as their beauty. They are stories waiting to be told. I sell many to carry ashes of loved ones departed, it is an honour to provide comfort to someone at a time of great sadness. This helps close the circle of my own grief.
What’s the most time-consuming part of making them?
The construction of the bottle pendants involves many consecutive solderings. Each step progresses to a smaller element being soldered to the main body. This requires accuracy in set-up and the application of heat to get the solder to flow without melting the tiny elements. It is a test of skill and patience. When it's all soldered together you begin the clean-up and removal of fire stain. It is long winded and tedious but when the final polish is applied you know it's all been worth it.
What do you like about using Mokume Gane and do you treat it differently to normal metal?
Mokume Gane is a beautiful patterned metal that works well with my vessels. Working with a metal that is a combination of silver and copper means that each alloy has different melting points. The challenge is to get the copper hot enough to get the solder to run without melting the silver. Reticulation of the silver can and does occur, but gentle filing and sanding can reveal the pattern once more.
Read Kernowcraft's guide on using Mokume Gane
Where can we find your jewellery in Cornwall?
As a member of Cornwall Crafts Association, I exhibit at Trelissick (Feock) and Trelowarren (Mawgan-in- Meneage) galleries. Also at Porthminster (St Ives), Polka Dot (Exeter), Beside the Wave (Falmouth), Xrospective (Penryn) and The Lane (Truro). We have a small exhibition space at Krowji and hold two Open Studio events annually.
Has your jewellery changed and developed over the years?
To develop my practice I like to challenge myself with new shapes and textures. I love forming larger vessels in copper and gilding metal and am always experimenting with patination. As a maker you have to keep moving forward, it keeps the spark alive.
You run tailored jewellery workshops in Cornwall, what advice would you give to someone wishing to start jewellery making?
Teaching was a natural progression for me. I am passionate about craftsmanship, therefore bench skills are my main focus when running workshops. If you understand the function of your tools and the discipline of techniques you can realise your designs accurately.
Start with the basics and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration further down the road. Scrapping a half finished piece is heartbreaking. Working through the technical aspects of a design on paper allows you to see the pitfalls and modify them before you make your piece.
It's so rewarding to see people proudly wearing their finished piece. My students are always amazed at what they achieve.
WHERE CAN YOU FIND NICOLA?
WEBSITE - FACEBOOK
Niki's Top Kernowcraft Picks
Also in this section:
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr