Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
Meet Jo! A talented jeweller, working from her wonderful home studio in Cornwall, where she creates magical and mythical handmade jewellery designs! We have always been in awe of Jo's statement gemstone designs, so we were super excited to hear more about Jo's experiences, inspirations and processes. We ask Jo all about how she discovered her signature style and passion for gemstones, we gain top tips on gaining a growing and engaged following on social media and hear all about Jo's love for Cornwall which plays a key role in inspiring her boho jewellery designs.
Hi Jo, how did you first discover your love for jewellery making?
I initially fell down the rabbit hole of looking on a website for beading thread to mend a necklace I had broken, I never looked back and never did mend that necklace. It grew from there and I began wire wrapping gemstones, and lampwork beads before I moved on to silversmithing in 2008.
How has living in Cornwall inspired your designs?
How can Cornwall not inspire! I’m definitely a Cornish maid, the essence and magic of Cornwall, whether from folklore, myth or the beautiful coast and wilds of the moors is in my blood. I like to think there is a bit of Cornwall in each piece I create.
"I like to think there is a bit of Cornwall in each piece I create..."
What was your experience like studying a jewellery course and what did you gain from this?
Before I started silversmithing I wanted to expand my skills, this was before Instagram or YouTube so apart from reading there was nothing else but finding a course. I am a hands-on learner, so I took a course at the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery with Lisa Cain and that was the start of me with a torch!
"When I left Etsy a couple of years ago, I was a little worried but honestly it’s the best thing I could have done..."
"My top tip would be to put your face on there, it wasn’t a comfortable thing for me, but it does give some insight to the person behind the designs..."
How would you describe your jewellery?
Once someone described it as other worldly (Lord Of The Rings) which I loved, but I would say a little rustic, a little bit boho and a whole lot of magic!
How have you found selling jewellery on your own website compared to platforms such as Etsy?
When I left Etsy a couple of years ago, I was a little worried but honestly it’s the best thing I could have done. Selling online isn’t the easiest thing, you do have to promote constantly but I think I was already doing that before I left so apart from pointing people to Etsy, I just started pointing them to my website instead.
You’ve grown a brilliant following on Instagram, what are your top tips on growing your social media and having an engaged community?
I’m lucky that I started right at the start of Instagram so my numbers have grown organically, slowly but surely. I love the visualisation of Instagram, and the fact you can connect with your customers. My top tip would be to put your face on there, it wasn’t a comfortable thing for me, but it does give some insight to the person behind the designs. I think it's so important for handcrafted jewellery, for some behind the scenes shots too. Everyone loves to see the process even if just a snippet.
"I love to hear people can spot my designs a mile off – that for me is the best thing..."
What’s your favourite piece of jewellery you’ve ever made and why?
That’s such a hard question hahah, at the moment it would have to be my lockets. I have to really think about the construction and I feel like they push me out of my comfort zone. But I think yearly I change my mind on a favourite piece... (to be far every piece has a little bit of my heart).
How did you find your jewellery style - was it something that evolved or happened almost instantly?
It's funny when I look back over my old Flickr account (Prior to Instagram etc.) I think my style is there from the start, it's just as my confidence and skills grew my pieces evolved. I love to hear people can spot my designs a mile off – that for me is the best thing.
"I am rubbish at taking time out because I love what I do but I think it's important for the creative process to rest and recuperate..."
What’s your favourite way to have down time?
I’d have to say a long walk, whether in the woods or along the beach on dry days but on a wet winters day I am an avid reader and can easily lose myself in a book too. I am rubbish at taking time out because I love what I do but I think it's important for the creative process to rest and recuperate.
Tell us about your studio, how have you made it your own and how long do you spend in there each day?
Ahhh my lovely new studio! My husband and I built it by hand at the top of the garden and I moved into her in November 2020 after 12 years in the garage (which was converted but had a frosted window so not much natural light). Now I have a big window above my bench and I look out over my garden. My husband built a wonderful bench and worktop, and she couldn’t be more perfect for me!
I have plants and pictures on the wall, and crystals on shelves – it’s my happy place! I probably spend at least 8 ish hours a day in there, sometimes longer!
What’s 3 Kernowcraft products you’d recommend and why?
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr