Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
Colourful, quirky & beautiful...
Today we're so excited to share with you a guest post from Kate, the jewellery designer behind Little Silver Star.
Getting your jewellery workshop right can be a tricky task and although you don't need a huge amount of space, it's important to ensure things are stored properly and are accessible while you're working on a project - but the most important thing is that it's a space you love working in!
Kate recently gave her space a makeover, so we asked her to show us around her space full of personality and tell us her top tips and tricks for the perfect workspace.
My main workspace area
The inspiration behind my workshop transformation
I was actually inspired by a competition that the people who own my building Meanwhile Creative were running. The competition was to win a months free rent for the best workshop makeover. It was too late for me take part but looking at all the amazing workshop transformations really made me think I want to do mine now.
I am a very 'spur of the moment' person so I just decided to do it there and then, me and my boyfriend went to B&Q and bought the paint and we got to work. I love colour so much and my fashion is very colour centric and I also have really colourful hair so I wanted to extend this to my work shop. I spend so much time there that I want somewhere that feels comfortable and cheerful and that makes me happy when I am there. Its really hard sometimes running a small business and you never have time to do anything so it's nice to have a safe comfy space to work in.
A Little Bit About Me...
I am from Wolverhampton but moved to Bristol in 2016. I have been making jewellery for about 8 years, silversmithing for about 4 and a half and have been in business since February 2014 - so coming up to 4 years. I am fully self-taught and am learning new skills all the time.
A lot of my designs can be personalised and I love to use colour wherever possible. My spinner rings are my bestselling product and what I am most known for, but I also do lots of different stacking rings and necklaces earrings and bangles. I also use handstamping in many of my pieces and have worked with an illustrator to develop design stamps that are exclusive to Little Silver Star, most recently with my Starry Foxes Collection.
Adding splashes of colour to the workshop
I wanted a space that would make me happy whenever I entered it and I also wanted some cool backdrops to take photos for my Facebook and Instagram. I love to use colour in my jewellery wherever possible with colourful stones or enamel and resin. I am also into Japanese fashion which is really colourful and I also have blue hair haha.
My workshop essentials
I make so many rings so definitely my ring mandrel, saw and rawhide hammer. I also could not live without my mitre cutting jig which makes filing straight lines so easy and my most prized piece of kit my GRS Benchmate for stone setting.
The best space saving tools!
Ikea is so great for space saving ideas so a lot of my stuff is from there. The magnetic strips hold my stamps, files and burnishers (or anything else metal and not too heavy). I have some of their wall rails with hanging hooks that hold lots of my mandrels and filing sticks. These are all in easy reach of my right hand (I am right handed) so that it makes my working time more efficient. I also have some cool little drawers from Lidl that hold all my stones and casts and ring blanks and Wilko have these amazing under shelf baskets which are great for splitting up orders and stuff without taking up too much shelf space.
Introducing my new 'chill out' area...
Christmas 2016 was so busy for me, actually that whole year was really overwhelming. The business expanded really rapidly and I wasn’t quite ready for it. I had so many orders that Christmas and I had to work 18 hour days, 7 days a week in the 6 weeks running up to Christmas. Sometimes I was so tired I would fall asleep at my bench as I had nowhere comfy to go in my workshop.
So when I was decorating I knew I want to add a comfy area to my studio. Somewhere I could just relax in and be able to get away from it all for a while. The little seat actually folds out into a bed and I have a blanket and some pillows so if I want to have a little nap when I have been working too hard I can haha. It is also a great place for my 4 year old daughter to go if she comes into the studio with me, she actually thinks that it is her space and that I made it especially for her.
That area also has some display boxes in it so that if I do an open studio or customers come to visit I can some jewellery on display. I am actually going to be doing some silversmithing workshops in the future so it will also be a good place to take photos of the students work.
How to make your workshop your own
It doesn’t have to be expensive, I picked up my paint really cheap from B&Q and places like B&M, Wilkos and Ebay are great for getting bargains. Ikea is just brilliant for space saving ideas so its good to go to their store for inspiration, also if you google Ikea hacks you will get so many ideas. You don’t have to do it all at once, I actually implemented a lot of my space saving things at the beginning of the year and then waited until now to do the painting.
Pinterest and Instagram are so good for getting ideas too. Also make sure you get someone to help you, I couldn’t have done I without my boyfriend and my workshop assistant Laura. There was a time when I had moved everything off the walls and to the middle of the room and I was thinking to myself ‘why have I done this’ haha it felt like such a big job but with them helping me it was so much quicker.
Kate's Top Kernowcraft Picks
I love the blue moonstones and I actually use them in my sun, moon and star stacking ring. Moonstone is actually one of my favourite stones and the blue hues in these ones are so dreamy.
The collection of coloured drusy stones Kernowcraft stock are so beautiful I have made a beautiful ring for my best friend with a black oval one and I have two more in my stone collection waiting to made into something special (when I have the time haha). I have some designs in the pipeline which will include drusy so watch this space.
I can't talk about Kernowcraft without mentioning the stunning collection of boulder opals. I am always drooling over them, but can never decide which one I want to buy.
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr