Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
"For me, jewellery is about the experience, emotion and aesthetic beauty it creates..."
Vikki Hall is a Somerset based jeweller, designing incredible pieces of jewellery focusing on organic forms, with a tactile sense and a contemporary look.
This year, Vikki has released The Cosmos Collection, exploring the themes of galaxies and the magic that surrounds space. It's a stunning range of designs, using a combination of gemstones such as citrine, amethyst and moonstone. More and more people are becoming fascinated with space and it's wonderful to see jewellers creating unique and special designs using this theme.
With our 'Meet The Jeweller' feature, this is our chance to get to know the designer behind their amazing jewellery. Discover more about their jewellery making journey, their top tips, what they've learned along the way and so much more...
So let's get to know the talented Vikki, shall we?!
"I soon began to feel that I would love to create wonderful pieces of jewellery that could give the same feeling to others..."
Hi Vikki! Tell us about how your jewellery making journey started and where your love for jewellery comes from?
Hi! My love of jewellery stems right back to my childhood. My mum has a great love of jewellery, both modern and antique, as well as gemstones and they have all rubbed off on me throughout my childhood and teens. I have so many memories of going to antique fairs and flea markets and saving up pocket money for when we’d take a trip into town. We'd get the chance to visit a few local jewellery shops and try things on to see what I wanted to save up for next!
Some years ago I did a bead and wire jewellery course with my mum so that we could start making our own and after that
Describe your jewellery in 3 words
I would say my jewellery is dainty, organic and cosmic.
We’re obsessed with your Cosmos Collection! Tell us the inspiration behind this and more about this beautiful collection
Thank you so much for saying so, that's lovely to hear. The inspiration for the Cosmos Collection actually began whilst I was considering what I would like to achieve in my final project of the evening silversmithing classes I was attending.
I’ve always been fascinated by all things cosmic so after collecting some inspirational images of the night sky, the cosmos became my main influence on my final piece and in turn the whole collection.
The idea formed that I’d like to capture part of the cosmos within each piece and the main aim was to create the texture and twinkle that would best describe the night sky in jewellery form.
What is your favourite way to become inspired?
For the Cosmos
I also like to go to art exhibitions and galleries whenever possible and I love to dive into art and historical jewellery books for inspiration and ideas.
What was the design process like for your new collection?
Once I’d established what I’d like to achieve within the collection, the design process really became
After creating some initial sketches, I then began to put pieces and ideas together that started forming a collection. The other big factor within the design process was that I knew that I wanted to work with small gemstones - they give such wonderful colours to each piece and that twinkle that you see when you look up at the stars and plants in the night sky. The texture of each piece also became an important design feature as I wanted to represent, in my way, a
Tell us more about the process behind your branding with your logo, website and packaging
I’m extremely lucky that I have a partner who is a graphic designer and who has been very lovely and helped me endlessly with all the branding.
In his own words, Jon says: "The key aspects we wanted to get across in the branding was to maintain a professional look throughout whilst incorporating the key aspects in Vikki's jewellery. We narrowed these down to the organic, tactile nature of the jewellery (choice of font plus the use of a hand-drawn underline), her love of all things cosmic (the subtle use of the gold stars in the logo) and the fact she predominantly uses silver (the primary use of greys and silvers throughout the branding). We are both really pleased with the outcome of our branding having spent
"It’s so important to get every aspect of the business right, from the marketing, branding and general
bookkeeping, they all need as much time and attention as the creative and making side..."
How was your experience studying a jewellery course and would you recommend it for others?
I loved the jewellery courses I studied. I had a wonderful teacher and metalsmith artist, Julia Thompson, who is based in south Somerset. I learnt so much from her and really appreciated having a teacher that was both inspirational and very patient.
I would highly recommend doing a course if you're interested in silversmithing. It gives you a great opportunity to learn the right skills and the chance to be around other
What’s one thing you wish you knew before starting your business?
The one thing I wish I knew before starting my business was how much time and effort the business side of things requires.
t’s so important to get every aspect of the business right, from the marketing, branding and general
Your pug, Reggie is so cute! Does he keep you company while you’re busy making?
Ah thank you, I’m a little bias, but I certainly think so too!
Reggie spends most of his day sleeping on the sofa, although he will at times come and oversee what’s going on. He definitely takes more of a supervisory role!
What has been your biggest challenge since starting your jewellery business?
It’s definitely been the marketing side of things. I’m not naturally good at promoting myself and what I do, so getting my name and business out there for people to see and know has been a challenge. However, with the help of my partner Jon, we have been slowly getting to grips with it all and we are making new connections all the time.
3 tools you couldn’t live without and why?
What are your favourite gemstones to use in your designs?
Whilst making this collection I have really fallen in love with iolite - it’s such a fabulous mix of blue and purple. I’ve also loved working with citrine, it has such a wonderful golden glow and seems to lift my spirits whenever I look at it. My other big favourite - although I haven’t used it in this collection but plan on using some soon - is opal. They capture the colours of the rainbow within one stone and totally fascinate me!
What is your favourite design to make and why?
I would say the iolite stud earrings are my favourite designs to make. I absolutely love the rose cut iolite cabochons with their fabulous colour, and I love the way the facets so beautifully catch the light. But also the simplicity of the design really showcases the stones.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’d love to be working on my jewellery full-time and to have built a strong customer base. I would also love to be stocked in a few shops by then and be an established jewellery business in the South West region.
What advice would you give someone wishing to start their own jewellery business?
Have faith in yourself and what you’re doing. Spend time getting the fine details of your business right as this will help give you a solid and cohesive brand that people can trust. But perhaps most importantly, enjoy what you do!
Your favourite 3 Kernowcraft products and why!
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr