Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
It's time to discover another jeweller's story!
This week we chat to customer Jonathan Videgrain, a talented jeweller who shares his jewellery making journey so far, along with his advice on creating an established brand that turns heads!
We absolutely adore Jonathan's layered necklaces, featuring our pyrite cabochons - we can't get enough of his unique style.
To check out our Meet The Jeweller series, head over to the blog to read more jeweller stories, with top tips and recommendations you can use in your jewellery designs.
Read our interview with Jonathan below and check out his recommendations at the bottom of the page!
Hi Jonathan, thanks for chatting to us! Firstly, tell us a bit about you and what got your started in jewellery making.
Thank you for inviting me! So I grew up in Jersey in the Channel Islands which inspires my jewellery today. After leaving school I did a lot of paper cutting and paper sculpture but put that to one side when I went to Leeds College of Art so that I could experiment with more adventurous materials. I can't remember when I realised jewellery was the way forward for me - but I remember that feeling of 'wow I made that' when I made my first copper ring. It looks so professional and to learn a skill of making something that you didn't know before... it gave my creative practice real direction and meaning. Looking back though, I was always fascinated with anything shiny or precious.
You studied Fine Art in Leeds and continue to further your studies in jewellery, how has this influenced your jewellery and how it has helped you along your journey?
Studying fine art gave me a greater appreciation of form and structure. It may just look like I am creating something to look good, but behind it is subtle uses of shape and gravity that is quite sculptural. This is something I am keen to explore more in some workshops I will be running later this year. It will all be about gravity and will be a mix of small-scale sculpture and jewellery. Continuing my studying with a jewellery diploma has taught me so much about gemstones and precious metals - to get the most out of jewellery it's essential you know your materials, and the information is all out there if you look, almost all of my jewellery making is self taught.
"Start with one design or one technique and no matter what happens, do not stop until it works..."
All-time favourite gemstone and why?
Howlite. It looks like marble so it is so on-trend but also timeless. Anything made with it becomes effortlessly cool.
Your packaging and branding
is lovely, what was the process of this and what advice would you give to jeweller’s designing their own.
Thank you! It has been a slow process of trial and error to get it right. I wanted it to look professional and iconic, but still show off the brand's craftiness and (intentional) imperfection. That's why I hand stamp my logo onto all my packaging myself. It makes each one slightly unique. I think the trick is to know what you are aiming for, know your strengths, and keep it simple. Also pick something that is going to grow with your work, not
What advice would you give to someone interested in jewellery making but yet to start?
Start with one design or one technique and no matter what happens, do not stop until it works.
"Your friends are your PR team, keep people close because they will spread the word and you will learn from them."
We love your layered necklaces, featuring our turquoise and tiger’s eye! Other than layering, what’s one jewellery trend you loving right now?
Ear Jackets. My swinging earring backs put all the attention behind the ear with a simple stud at the front and I just think it
What has been your biggest challenge within your jewellery making journey?
So much! Learning to make websites,
In your experience, what’s the best way to get your jewellery business out there and noticed?
I feel like I should be getting advice on this, not giving the advice! But so far, Instagram is how I've managed to spread the word and give
Where can we find you when you’re not making jewellery?
When I am Leeds, I am usually in the gym, or writing an assignment for my retail jewellery diploma. On the rare occasion I am relaxing I will be reading a book with a really good cup of coffee (and cake
Have you got a favourite design you have ever made and why?
It has to be a pair of white gold wedding rings I am currently working on. They are everything I want them to be, they are hand carved and look so organic. They were designed together with the engaged couple and to be part of something so sentimental is everything jewellery should be. They will also be my first pieces to feature my own hallmark, which feels like a significant step. I am just sorry that I can't show them to you yet!
Where can you find Jonathan?
Jonathan shares his most recommended Kernowcraft products below
My absolute favourite machine ever. No need to feel limited when making a new design as to what will come out polished or not, this thing will make everything look amazing.
How cool are these?!
of an unusual rough gemstone that are hard to find anywhere but Kernowcraft. I have not used these yet but they are definitely high on my 'to-do' list for upcoming jewellery! A great example
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr