TOOLS, INSPIRATION & WORKING WITH METAL CLAY FROM JEWELLER CHLOE MICHELL
When we were offered the chance to sponsor an award in the Truro Silversmithing and Jewellery End of Year Design Show, we jumped at the chance. It was more than a privilege to go along and view the amazing work made by all of the talented students.
When we found out that Cornish jeweller Chloe Michell had won our category, we were delighted. Her designs were ones that particularly stood out for us. It was clear Chloe had been inspired by the sea and her abstract, eye-catching designs had us discussing her methods after the show.
After giving Chloe her prize we asked her if we could share her inspiration and jewellery making journey through a guest blog post...
About Chloe Michell
Cornish jeweller Chloe Michell has been running her own jewellery business since 2003 - Chloe Michell Jewellery. Chloe was a self taught jeweller with years of experience behind her in the crafts industry. In 2012 Chloe made the decision to advance in the creative / skill side of her business and commence in a 3 year degree in silversmithing and Jewellery at Truro College.
We asked Chloe how she went about starting her own business: "I was able to get a Princes Trust start up loan so that I could work with silver and gold as well as semi-precious stones. I then used Kernowcraft to order the bulk of my supplies - from my trusty piercing saw, to my beads. I found It was really helpful to get nearly everything I needed from one place."
"I still have all of my first tools and use them everyday that I am in the workshop. I expect to keep using them for a long time to come - It just goes to show that spending a little more on good quality products really does pay off in the long run."
"My jewellery journey has been amazing, for anyone just getting started I would advise the best thing you can do is put time and money, if necessary into learning. Unlike when I started out, there is such a huge selection of easy access help available on the internet. You can access books, demonstration videos, course and funding information, advice pages etc."
We were really taken by the design of Chloe's Degree show jewellery and asked her how and where she found her inspiration:
"The collection I made for my final major project was based on live sea corals. I love the aesthetic, colour and the way they move in the water. In fact, most of the jewellery I make has a link to the sea and nature, I think growing up on the north coast of Cornwall has been an endless inspiration for me."
Many of us at Kernowcraft also like to find inspiration by spending some time away from busy day-today life and taking in natures surroundings.
Chloe also gave some great advice that we, again couldn't agree more with...
"Spend time reading, looking and learning. Be inspired by people and by other peoples work, journeys and stories. I never ceases to me amaze me how much you can develop through this. I truly believe you will make the best jewellery when you enjoy yourself!"
Working With Metal Clay
Chloe also gave us some insight into how she went about making her sea inspired designs:
"I made the ball part of my jewellery with Art Clay Silver, and then enamelled the insides to create a flash of colour while they were being worn. It took me a while to master the Art Clay and work out how it behaved. I was continually tweaking my designs to get a successful collection"
Art Clay is a variant of a range of Metal Clay products available on the market. It can be moulded, sculpted and formed just like modelling clay and can be fired, in most cases, with a gas torch, in a kiln or even on a gas hob.
We are big fans of metal clay at Kernwocraft, it feel like magic... a clay that transforms into real silver! Like Chloe, you will need to experiment to get the most out of metal clay and see how you can use it best.
As you can see, Chloe has achieved amazing things with metal clay. We love the endless possibilities the material offers, especially for jewellery makers who may have limited jewellery making tools available to them. We have a number of advice pages on using and working with the different metal clay products that we supply.
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr