Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
Are you ever inspired by the flowers blooming in your garden, leaves falling from trees to the hills you can see from your bedroom window? Sometimes the inspiration you need for your jewellery designs is right in front of you.
We talk to Claire Halligan, a wonderful jeweller from the East End of Glasgow, with designs inspired by the hustle and bustle of the streets and wonderful architecture that surrounds her. Claire's jewellery always catches our eye, using gemstones such as mystic fire topaz and cubic zirconia!
Find out more about living life in this Scottish city, how Claire finds her inspiration and her top picks she couldn't be without.
Carry on scrolling to discover more of our customer creations, inspired by their very own hometown too.
Hi Claire, firstly tell us about Pop Up Jewellery Ltd and how your jewellery making journey started
Pop Up Jewellery Ltd is a business that creates sterling silver jewellery inspired by many factors. From our dainty collection which is inspired
My jewellery making journey started four years ago when I
How has living in East End Glasgow, Scotland influenced your designs?
Living in the East End of Glasgow has always been interesting, it is an area that has
So when I walk through my city and I see gates, tenements, windows I cant help but take aspects of there sights and celebrate them in my work.
How would you describe your home in three words?
- Noisy, I'm a city girl so I need to sounds of cars and people walking past to keep me sane!
- Changing, Glasgow EE has the amazing trick of staying the same yet changing at the same time! You could be looking at the
- Architectural - If you have a wonder around Glasgow you will see some of the most beautiful buildings, and I am not just speaking about the new ones, I am speaking of the old ones - like the fish and chips shops that have been there for 20+ years or the Barrowlands which is still one of the most popular sights in Glasgow today
Where’s your favourite place in Glasgow?
My favourite place in Glasgow has to be the area I used to play called ''The Castle'' which is right behind my house and is an area with a hill (The Castle) which is made up
What shapes and colours do you associate with your home and how has this influenced your jewellery?
When it comes to shapes relating to my own I always think the East End and Glasgow
What’s one tool you couldn’t part with and why?
My polisher! I have this horrible obsession with making things highly polished to the point I have found myself polishing the same piece for three days. When I hear the squeak from the jewellery and the polish cloth I know its good enough!
Tell us a little bit about your current collection and the inspiration behind it.
Currently I have two collections I am always working on, the first being the dainty collection which is
What has your experience been with craft fairs and do you have any tips?
When it comes to market stalls or fairs I learned very quickly that you should try every one to see where you do best. I have had sell out stalls and I have had quiet stalls but with either of them I didn't loose anything, new jewellers need to remember that we are starting out and it is okay if one stall doesn't go well! It means we now know that, that stall is not for us so time to try the next! When I have a bad stall and I feel a bit disheartened my mum always says ''There is now ten more people who knew about Pop Up Jewellery Ltd'' than there was yesterday!
Do you have a favourite design which means a lot to you and why?
My favourite design has to be my tenement brooch, it was the design that started my brand and helped me believe that I didn't have to follow a trend. My brooch is one of the most complicated pieces I have ever made and at the end of the production period I look back at this brooch and I don't see just metal or enamel - I see my home, my memories made into this piece of jewellery I can take anywhere with me.
Where can we find you on a Sunday afternoon?
Sundays are usually my day off! So I spend these days replying to emails, sketching some designs and of course watching Game of Thrones wrapped up in a big housecoat with a cup of tea! May not be the most exciting Sunday but it is the best way to unwind from the week!
What advice would you give to someone struggling to find inspiration for designs?
If someone is stuggling the first thing I would say is ''your not alone!'' all designers go through dry spells where we cant think of any design! So when it is me I usually turn off my phone, get the dog and go a long walk and ignore everything about. Sometimes I think we have so much going through our head all the time we just need complete silence for one moment to clear our heads!
Claire's Top Kernowcraft Picks
Oh I have been excited for this! With all the gemstones in my work I buy them from Kernowcraft and it is not just because the stones are amazing but it is the team! They don't make me feel silly when I phone asking for advice! So my top three products have to be...
Topaz colour cubic zirconia is my best selling gemstone!
havebeen so many times I bought this stone for my designs!
Customer Creations Inspired By Their Home
We asked if your home inspires your jewellery designs and we received amazing photos of beautiful designs over on our Facebook page, take a look below at our favourites
My 'Trees' collection pieces are all inspired by my surroundings. They contain stones that reflect the colours I see as well as twigs cast from my garden.
I get to visit the shoreline quite a bit living in Dorset and having dogs and kids. my favourite beaches are ones that have small scattering of puddles with smatterings of pebbles on sandy beaches, I try to captures the pebbles scattered around but I'm still working on capturing the water part.
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr