Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
Today we're thrilled to introduce to you to Cornish jeweller Sadie Hodgson from Sadie Jewellery!
We invited Sadie to do an interview, to discuss how her home has influenced her designs, what she gets up to in her spare time while also finding out the secrets to getting your designs in shops.
If like us, you are inspired by the seaside, head to our Coastal Collection to add those cool tones and summery vibes to your designs!
Hi Sadie, thank you so much for taking the time to speak to Kernowcraft about your jewellery making journey. Firstly, how did your passion for jewellery begin?
Thank you so much for inviting me! Kernowcraft has had/still does play a massive role in my jewellery making journey. My passion for sparkly things began when I was super small, so when I was 5 my mum bought me my first “make your own jewellery kit” and it went on from there… Growing up I pretty much spent all my pocket money buying gemstones from you ha ha. In 2015 I turned my lifelong hobby into a business and I haven’t looked back!
Like us, you live in beautiful Cornwall - how has this inspired your jewellery designs over the years?
Oh it’s amazing to live in such a beautiful location! I’m a keen surfer and spend a lot of the time in the sea. A lot of my inspiration comes from water. Different depths vary so much in colour, I look for sea glass that are shades of delicate aqua and deep oceanic blues. I love how silver flows just like water and I like to portray that in my work. Not only has Cornwall inspired me, without Cornish beaches I wouldn’t be able to create my designs today.
What’s the best thing about living in Cornwall?
The beaches are beautiful and Cornwall has a lot of creative talent to offer. Oh and food of course… It’s almost cream tea o’clock, make sure you put the jam on first ;-)
How would you describe Sadie Jewellery in 3 words?
Delicate, raw, feminine.
Your jewellery is stocked in Ann’s Cottage (Fistral Beach, St Columb, Padstow, Polzeath, Wadebridge, Falmouth, Bude), Surfing Life in Newquay, Surfgirl Magazine, SurfGirl Beach Boutique and Caffe Gallerie Plymouth - these are great achievements! What advice would you give to those wanting to sell their jewellery in shops?
Never give up! Be polite and be yourself, you are essentially your own brand, make sure you know your products inside out and be open to fresh ideas.
What’s one thing you wish you knew before starting a jewellery business?
Before starting I wish I knew more ways to manipulate materials.
Do you have a favourite gemstone?
Easily Padparadscha sapphire. Oh my
Where can we find you when you’re not making jewellery?
I like being outdoors, I’m an active person so I love to surf, cycle and take my dog Eric beachcombing with me.
What’s your favourite social media platform for your brand and do you have any tips?
100% Instagram! Imagery is key! People all over the world can scroll through your work in an instant, a picture paints a thousand words and that is so true. I’m no expert and constantly learning, hashtags are hard and all those algorithms to get your head round… Mind boggling! It’s definitely worth investing time and deeply researching into what works for your brand. They’ve recently launched a story setting which has been quite fun to play with.
The photography of your jewellery is stunning – do you have any tips for those wanting to showcase their products?
That really means a lot thank you, this is something that I really take pride in. To me imagery is one of the most important things when selling online - how can you sell jewellery without showing the customer its true likeliness. My tips are to keep it simple and use natural lighting, I have a certain spot
(For more photography tips, head to our guide!)
What’s one piece of jewellery you couldn’t live without?
I haven’t taken my Morveren’s tail off since I made it. It goes everywhere with me… in the sea, surfing, swimming, cycling, gym etc.
Which beach is the best to discover sea glass?
Now that would be
What tips would you give someone wanting to turn their hobby into a business?
Persevere, learn and experiment until you have found your own
What has been your biggest achievement since Sadie Jewellery began?
My biggest achievement is making my family proud :-)
Where do you see Sadie Jewellery in five years
In 5 years
Also in this section:
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr