Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
Our Meet The Jeweller series is the chance to chat to jewellers and get to know more about their jewellery making journey.
Today we chat to Amber Wheatley all about her handmade jewellery, with dark, witchy and bohemian themes - from crescent moons, hoop earrings to spider rings!
Hi Amber, firstly tell us about how you got started in making jewellery
I've always loved jewellery, especially rings. At any festival or shop and I can usually be found in at the jewellery stalls.
Growing up I was homeschooled, so spent a lot of time doing art in the comfort of my home – which included making a lot of beaded jewellery for various family members (whether they liked it or not).
A few years ago I started researching more and more about how people make jewellery using silver, as I was completely fascinated by the incredible artists I've seen on Instagram. I was fortunate enough to live right near a silversmithing studio, so I took a few classes to learn the basics – how to solder, what wires to use, what tools do what etc.
I started ordering various tools and managed to build a little studio for myself in an empty room in my house. From there I was able to teach myself how to use and set gemstones, as well as use a range of techniques and settings.
With the help of the wonderful jewellery community that has formed on the internet, I'm still learning new things to this day.
How would you describe your jewellery in 3 words?
Celestial, Boho, Witchy.
What’s your favourite technique and why?
Technique wise I'm absolutely still an amateur. I just work on a piece until it works for me.
Bohemian sterling silver hoops
We love your dark and gothic designs, how did you find your style and what was the inspiration behind it?
I've always been really into the supernatural/paranormal, so I feel as though that has always been represented in the art I've created. I also draw a lot of my ideas from the gothic art and architecture from the medieval period.
There is some truly incredible history to find in the depths of old buildings and churches, and I feel as though they have always been a huge inspiration behind my work.
Who is one jeweller you’re loving right now and why?
There are some truly talented creators in the world, many of which I am lucky to follow on social medias such as Instagram. One jeweller I've always been a fan of is The Small Beast. Their jewellery is absolutely one of a kind and so beautifully crafted.
What’s one tool you couldn’t live without and why?
I’d say one of the most important tools for me personally is the half round file. It was one of the first tools I was shown at the beginning of silversmithing, and it’s the perfect shape for filing the ins and outs of a ring.
Where do you see your jewellery heading in the future?
I'm hoping to be able to open my own shop eventually, perhaps even in a different country. Although that's not for a while yet!
What advice would you give to someone wanting to teach themselves how to make jewellery?
Don't give up! And throw as many tantrums as you need in order to finish a piece, because once it's completed you're going to feel so glad you didn't stop. And the more you work at your technique, the better you'll feel about your craft.
You use such beautiful statement gemstones in your designs, how do you find inspiration on choosing one for your next design?
Generally, my brain is pretty much all over the place, so I usually choose the stone before I even start designing a piece.
If I find a stone that catches my eye in particular, I won't hesitate to create a small collection dedicated to it.
Your all-time favourite gemstone and why?
I've always adored moonstone. There are so many different types, and they're an incredibly flattering gemstone.
In recent years, I've grown fond of labradorite - there's just so many hues in one stone, it looks like a tiny universe.
Ring featuring a labradorite faceted gemstone
Favourite workshop snack?
Generally, if I'm in the workshop I won't have as much time to eat, so something small, like hummus and cucumber.
What has been your favourite platform for your handmade business and why?
Instagram has definitely been a huge part in the success I've had within my business thus far. It's incredibly resourceful and being able to post adverts has been a wonderful feature in order to help people see the jewellery I make.
Beautiful spider ring with a black onyx cabochon
What has been your biggest challenge so far in your jewellery making journey?
I'd say the piece I've found most difficult to create and finish was a large moon ring that was fitted with a stunning blue flash labradorite. It was the first large ring I have created, and there were a lot of mistakes made, including not measuring the bezel to fit the stone properly, which resulted in it splitting whilst trying to fit the stone.
The hardest thing I've struggled with regarding everything else is maintaining a business whilst being the sole supplier of the products. It's a very hard thing to do, but absolutely worth it.
Amber's Kernowcraft top picks
The polishing papers are a life saver when you're first starting out with metalsmithing! Especially if you don't have the experience with more intense equipment/machinary
The alligator skin tape is a wonderful product. Definitely saved my fingers on multiple occasions!
Last but not least, the gemstones are exquisite. Kernowcraft is always my go to for any gemstone, as they're all incredibly high quality with such intense colours
Also in this section:
- Meet The Jeweller: Talking Opal Obsession with Jenny from Sea Surf Rocks
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Olivia English
- Day In The Life Of Cornish Eco Jeweller Sarah Drew Jewellery
- Wax Carving, Metal Clay & Coastal Designs With Rockpool Jewellery
- Chatting Unique Nature Inspired Designs & Intricate Sawing With HISO
- Anxiety Jewellery & Favourite Gems With Rozen Jewellery
- Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Gretel's Metals
- Sea Glass, Healing Gemstones & Cornish Coastal Inspiration With Ula Jewellery
- ‘A Heart of Gold’ Jewellery Collaboration, Raising Awareness of Heart Disease in Women
- Stone Setting, Diamonds & Jewellery Design With Goldsmith Sonia Cheadle
- Magical Metal Clay, Nature & Gems With Susan Studd
- Chatting To Truro College Exhibition Silversmith Winner, Esther Moore
- Handmade Jewellery Inspired By Japanese Heritage & Philosophy With Kumiko
- Creating Unique Jewellery Collections With Gem Lark Jewellery
- Crystal Jewellery With Jessica From 'Roses & Whiskey'
- Statement Crystal Jewellery With FIRENZA
- Electroplating & Crystals With Studio Roan
- Chatting Beading & Wirework With Author & Tutor Sara Withers
- A Day In The Life With Soul Purpose Jewellery
- Meet Jeweller, Tutor & Author Anastasia Young
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller With Basia From Stardust Mine Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller, Author & Tutor Jinks McGrath
- Meet The Maker Transforming Coins & Scrap Metal Into Fun Characters
- Behind the Scenes At The Jewellers Retreat - An Interview With Jessica Rose
- Combining Skills Of Illustration & Metalsmithing With The Sylvan Smith
- Magical & Whimsical Jewellery With Manom Jewellery
- How To Work With Gemstones As A Jeweller With Gemmologist Sally Spencer
- Sea Glass, Personalisation & Christian Jewellery With Jordan Lily
- Chatting Beads, Etsy & Social Media With Emma From Evren Blue
- Garden Studio Tour, Jewellery Making & Packaging With Little Black Cat Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Cornwall, Magic & Myth With Gemheaven Jewellery
- Sand Casting Silver Cockle Shells & Nature Inspired Jewellery With Anna Davenport
- Day In The Life Of Running A Sea Glass Jewellery Business With Created By Niki
- Leo + Elk On Running A Family Business During A Pandemic
- A Day In The Life Of A Jeweller: Finding Normality Again With Kim Thomson
- Gemstone, Body Positivity & Black Lives Matter Designs With 'Jewellery By Eilatan'
- Meet The 'All That Glitters' Contestants Of Series 1
- Briolette Jewellery, Etsy & Learning With Ocean & Earth Jewellery
- What's Inside A Travelling Jeweller's Briefcase?
- Combining Sea Glass & Diamonds With Glasswing Jewellery
- Bohemian Luxe Handmade Jewellery With 'Feathers And Wings'
- Diamonds & Granulation With Milly Maunder
- Then & Now, Jewellery Through The Ages With Sam Stirrat
- Metalsmithing & Granulation With Sophie Cunliffe
- Contemporary Engagement Rings With William White
- Designing An Engagement Ring With Guest Writer Sea Surf Rocks
- Meet The Jeweller & Author Of 'Soldering For Jewellers' Rebecca Skeels
- Jewellery Making Notebook Tour With Jasmine Butler
- Running A Handmade Jewellery Business During A Pandemic With 'Louy Magroos'
- Home Jewellery Studio Tour & Top Tips With Jodie Fern
- Let's Talk Business With Jeweller & Tutor, Karen Young
- Nature & Mental Health Jewellery With Lost Kove
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Hazey Designs
- Jewellery Making Storage Tour With Scruffy Dog Silver
- Meet The Beader Behind Dainty Rocks
- Jewellery Workshop Tour With Little Silver Star
- Mindful Gemstone Jewellery With The Sea Tree Company
- Let's Talk Sea Glass Jewellery With Sadie Jewellery
- Chatting Beads & Growing A Jewellery Business With Liz Lloyd
- Beading With Carolyn Anne Jewellery
- Jewellers Of Colour: Connecting BAME Jewellers In The Jewellery Industry
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Corzana
- Meet The Jeweller Behind The Messy Creative
- Handmade Button Jewellery With Crafty Little Koala
- Beautiful Gemstones For Beautiful Skin With Inlight Beauty
- Meet The Boho Jeweller Behind Moonsalt Jewellery
- Etsy Success & Personalisation With Little Homebird Jewellery
- How Jewellery Making Has Helped My Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Jewellery Making With Nature's Treasures
- Meet Illustrator & Polymer Clay Jeweller, Nyassa Hinde
- Jewellery Trade Secrets With Metalsmith Society
- Sea Glass Jewellery & Launching A Business With Love Kernow
- Meet The Jeweller Behind London Jewellery School & Jewellers Academy
- Meet Stephen Goldsmith, Author Of Polishing & Finishing For Jewellers
- Resin, Flower & Gemstone Jewellery With Ellanor Aquitaine
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Trinkets By Moonlight
- Meet The Self-Taught Jeweller Behind Olivia Street Silver
- Personalised Handmade Jewellery With Ruby & Wonder
- Meet The Cosmic Jeweller, Vikki Hall
- Meet The Eco-Friendly Jeweller, Jemima Hurlock
- Meet The Cornish Jeweller, Thomas Matthews
- Beachcombing & Jewellery Making With Cornish Agates
- Festival & Boho Jewellery With Tegen
- Mokume Gane & Vessel Pendants With Nicola Bottono
- Meet The Jeweller Behind View Of The Sea
- Artists Residency With Jeweller, Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller & Gemstone Addict Behind Made By Oonagh
- Pre-Loved, Vintage Jewellery With Ella Masters
- Baker's Dozen Exhibition With Sarah Shelton-Palmer
- Meet The Jeweller, Tansy Wilson
- Celestial, Boho & Witchy Jewellery With Amber Wheatley Designs
- Let's Talk Metal Clay With Lisa Cain
- Meet The Jeweller Behind When Caitie Met Soda
- Make It Challenge: Recycling The Same Piece Of Silver For 100 Days
- Bespoke Engagement Rings With Blackacre
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Claire Howard Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Award Winner Andrew Berry
- Meet The Nature Inspired Jeweller Behind Lima-Lima
- Creating An Opal Ring & Pendant With Little Joy Jewellery
- Jewellery Inspired By Your Home With Claire Halligan
- Award Winner Monique On Techniques & Cornish Inspiration
- Meet The Jeweller Jonathan Videgrain
- Meet The Jeweller Louella Jewellery
- Meet The Jeweller Behind Bijoux De Chagall
- Alternative Wedding Jewellery With Bloody Mary Metal
- Jeweller Chloe Michell Talks Working With Metal Clay, Tools and Inspiration
- Setting Up Your Work Bench With Jeweller Victoria Walker
- An Interview With NAJ Shortlisted Designer of the Year Sheila Kerr