4 Reasons To Do A Craft Course
Creating and making could give you a boost and our guest writer, CraftCourses.com give us some ideas for easy ways to get started.
Crafts are something anyone can do and more and more research is showing how good it can be for us, but knowing where to start can be daunting so we spoke to CraftCourses.com to find out why making is so beneficial and how taking part in a workshop can really help.
Top 4 reasons why crafting is good for you:
1. It improves mental wellbeing
Recent research from BBC Arts Great British Creativity Test, undertaken by University College London, has demonstrated a strong connection between creative activity and mental and emotional wellbeing. Dr Daisy Fancourt explained that the study showed that taking part in arts and crafts activities was linked to dopamine release, which helped the brain to regulate emotions.
It has also been shown that the act of crafting results in a reduction in the stress hormone Cortisol (Drexel University), it is thought that this is caused due to the distraction and focus that making involves.
2. Provides good foundations for the future
Starting with a workshop, led by a highly skilled maker or professional tutor will provide you with the best foundations for starting your new hobby. By learning the best techniques and what works for you from the outset could avoid frustrations further down the line - the fewer barriers to finding a new, long term creative pursuit the better!
Plus, it allows you to test out a new craft without having to purchase lots of equipment and materials upfront.
3. Reduces isolation and improves social interaction
Not only will taking part in a course or workshop provide you with expert guidance but you may also come away with a wonderful mentor and new group of friends. Craft clubs can help to increase social interaction and reduce anxiety and loneliness. It could even lead to a new profession – many crafts tutors and makers started off with their careers with a creative workshop!
4. It could lead to a new passion
Creative learning results in an increased feeling of fulfilment and can put some spark, passion and ambition into our lives. Making enables us to express our emotions and grow through our chosen medium, providing a real sense of achievement.
How to get started
The CraftCourses website lists thousands of creative experiences, workshops and courses all over the UK from hundreds of course providers in a huge variety of crafts.
Organisations such as BBC Arts and the Crafts Council often organise special campaigns to introduce more people to arts and crafts with free or low cost, taster workshops – for example take a look at the Get Creative Festival, which is an easy way to trial a new creative hobby.
Visit an art gallery or museum, which are often free and could help to provide ideas and ignite your imagination.
Get inspiration from social media, apps such as Instagram and Pinterest have thousands of artisans showcasing a wide range of work and styles. See what appeals to you so that you can decide what you would like to try first.
Also in this section:
- How To Make Your Own Chakra Jewellery
- Our Favourite Customer Designs Of 2022
- Handmade Garnet Jewellery Designs We Love
- Trending Magenta Gemstones & Jewellery Designs
- Top 12 Best Selling Gemstone Cabochons
- Our Favourite Customer Jewellery Designs Of 2021
- 12 Good Luck Charms To Add To Your Jewellery
- Handmade Jewellery Creations Using Turquoise
- Handmade Birthstone Jewellery Inspiration
- Our Favourite Customer Jewellery Designs Of 2020
- 12 Things To Do At Home If You Love Jewellery Making
- Favourite Customer Jewellery Designs Of 2019
- 20 Handmade Heart Jewellery Designs
- 16 Amethyst Jewellery Designs We Love
- Easy Handmade Mother's Day Jewellery Gift Ideas
- 11 Amazing Handmade Aquamarine Jewellery Designs
- 17 Jewellery Designs Using Liver Of Sulphur
- Customisable Earrings For Non Pierced Ears
- 25 Additional Jewellery Making Supplies For Your Collection
- Our Favourite #KernowcraftXmas Designs
- 25 Jewellers Creating Bespoke Engagement Rings
- 15 Statement Onyx Jewellery Designs We Love
- 9 Gemstone Ring Designs We're Obsessed With
- What Is Rose Gold Filled?
- Australian Opal Jewellery Designs
- Handmade Floral Jewellery Designs
- Using Crystals For Jewellery Making
- 4 Easy Jewellery Making Projects For Kids
- Handmade Father's Day Gifts
- 4 Reasons To Do A Craft Course
- Chunky Chains & DIY Projects
- DIY Hair Accessories With Gemstones
- 18 Handmade Emerald Jewellery Designs
- What Is Granulation & Jewellery Designs We Love
- 10 Jewellery Making YouTube Channels To Watch
- Favourite Customer Designs Of 2018
- Favourite Customer Jewellery Designs Of 2017
- 11 Easy Handmade Christmas Jewellery Making Projects
- Prosecco & Rubies’ Top Tips for Buying the Perfect Gift
- 8 Jewellery Projects To Release Your Inner Dark Side
- Out Of This World, Galaxy Jewellery Designs!
- How Has Making Jewellery Helped You?
- Opal Jewellery Designs We Love Right Now
- 4 Jewellery Making Books For Beginners
- 16 Sea Glass Designs We Love
- Jewellery Making With Peridot
- Jewellery Designs Using Ruby Gemstones
- 10 Essentials For A Busy Jeweller
- 20 Boho Inspired Jewellery Designs
- What Jewellers Think Of Alligator Tape
- Top 20 #KernowcraftNature Designs
- The Gemstones For Nature Lovers
- How To Help The Environment As A Jewellery Designer
- 14 Jewellery Designs Inspired By Nature
- 22 Jewellery Designs Inspired By The Sea
- 5 Personalised Jewellery Gift Ideas
- Making Your Own Wedding Jewellery
- How To Use Pantone’s Colour Of The Year Ultra Violet In Jewellery Making
- Top 6 Chains For Your Jewellery Designs
- 14 Beachcombing Tips For Beginners
- Autumn Jewellery Inspiration
- Protecting Your Hands When Jewellery Making
- Minimalist Jewellers To Follow On Instagram Right Now
- Using Charms In Your Jewellery Designs
- International Beading Week Interview
- Soldering For Jewellers Book Review
- Make Your Own Festival Jewellery
- 10 Tips For Creating A Jewellery Wedding Collection
- Customer Creations in 2016
- 10 Reasons To Do Jewellery Making With Your Kids
- Our Favourite Halloween Inspired Jewellery Designs
- 9 of Our Favourite Christmas Inspired Jewellery Designs
- 5 Minute Handmade Jewellery Gifts This Christmas
- 6 Ways To Support Small Businesses This Christmas