How Much Bezel Strip/Gallery Wire Do I Need?
We frequently get asked what is the best length to cut your bezel strip, bearer wire or gallery wire when making settings for cabochon gemstones.
We've worked out the following lengths as a rough guide to how much you'll need for setting some of our most popular cabochon sizes.
10x8mm oval - approx 4cm
14x10mm oval - approx 5cm
18x13mm oval - approx 7cm
25x18mm oval - approx 9cm
40x30mm oval - approx 13cm
Don't forget that this is only an approximate guide and we always advise you get a little extra to allow for mistakes etc – we all know there's nothing worse than not having enough or making a mistake and not having enough to correct it or try again!
Another tip is to wrap a thin strip of paper around your stone, mark where the two ends meet and then measure the length of paper and add a bit for 'just in case!'
Shop Supplies With Kernowcraft
Our bezel strip and gallery is supplied fully annealed (soft), making it flexible and easy to create designs with.
Fine Silver (99.9%) Bezel Strip
The fine silver is slightly softer than sterling silver and it's quite thin it is flexible and easy to rub over the stone.
Here at Kernowcraft, our bezel strip is available in two depths, the 3mm bezel strip is suitable for most smaller stones and the wider option is useful for larger stones with a higher dome. We can cut the bezel strip to your requirements - simply enter the number of centimetres required in the quantity box.
Sterling Silver Gallery Pattern Wire
Gallery wire is also known as gallery strip to set cabochon stones. It's is a gorgeous decorative wire which is easy to bezel over stones as the prongs can simply be pushed over to meet the stone. It's a great alternative to bezel strip if you're after a more delicate or decorative effect.
At Kernowcraft, we will cut your wire to your requirement - simply enter the number of centimetres required in the quantity box on the product.
Shop over 500 cabochons for your handmade jewellery designs!
Check out our range of settings for cabochon stones including bezel cups, gallery wire settings, claw settings, glue-in settings and more.
Also in this section:
- The Essential Tools For Setting Gemstones
- Your Guide To Stone Setting Burrs For Jewellery Making
- What Is A Bezel Rocker?
- Types Of Settings & How To Use Them
- Types Of Settings For Calibrated Cabochon Stones
- Types Of Settings For Faceted Stones
- Types Of Settings For Free-Form Stones & Crystals
- Calibrated Gemstones & Size Tolerance In Jewellery Making
- Ready Made Settings vs Making Your Own Settings
- 7 Ways To Make Your Own Gemstone Ring
- How To Set Earstuds For Half Drilled Beads
- How to Set Flat Plates and Milled Edge Jewellery Settings
- How To Set Snaptite Settings
- How To Set Gemstones In Gallery Wire Settings
- How To Set Backset Settings
- How To Set Wraptite Settings
- How To Use Huggie Claw Settings For Crystals & Sea Glass
- What Are Bell Caps For Jewellery Making?
- How To Set A Pre-Notched Setting
- How To Set Claw Settings
- How To Make A Tube Setting For A Faceted Stone
- 4 Drilled Sea Glass Earring Projects
- Jewellery Making With Sea Glass: Drilling & Stone Setting Tutorials
- How To Drill Sea Glass For Jewellery Making
- How Much Bezel Strip/Gallery Wire Do I Need?
- Types Of Bezel Cups
- How to Adjust Bezel Settings to Fit Cabochons
- How To Set A Cabochon In A Bezel Setting
- How To Make A Gemstone Ring With A Bezel Cup
- How To Make A Bezel Set Cabochon Ring With 'Made By Oonagh'
- How To Make A Sea Glass Ring With Bezel Setting
- How To Make Bezel Set Cabochon Earstuds
- How To Make A Sea Glass Necklace With Backless Bezel Setting
- How To Make A Decorative Ring Setting For A Free Form Cabochon
- How To Bezel Set A Free Form Cabochon Onto A Textured Silver Pendant
- How To Make A Textured Pendant With A Freeform Gemstone Slice
- How To Make A Claw Set Cabochon Pendant
- How To Make A Prong/Claw Setting For Irregular Shapes Stones
- How to Make A Wire Edged Setting
- How To Make A Balled Claw Ring Setting
- Making An Australian Boulder Opal Pendant With Stardust Mine
- The Process Of Remodelling A Gemstone Ring With 'Honey Bee Design'
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!