Making An Australian Boulder Opal Pendant With Stardust Mine
What Is A Boulder Opal?
Boulder opals are a very popular variety of opal (especially among our customers!) and one of our favourites. They are mined from large ironstone boulders underground and the veins of colourful opals form within the cracks - it's then carefully cut, shaped and polished. Opals are valued by their colour, the number of colours, size and play of colour within the stone.
Who Is Stardust Mine?
Basia is the creator of Stardust Mine Jewellery, a self-taught metalsmith who has an independent jewellery line and a YouTube channel filled with amazing studio vlogs, tutorials, tool reviews and more. With the aim to inspire aspiring jewellers with free content where they can learn jewellery making techniques and skills in the comfort of their home.
Choosing The Stone...
We have been a huge fan of Basia's jewellery and wonderful YouTube channel for the longest time, so we were super excited about this collaboration!
We asked Basia if she would like to choose one of our stunning one of a kind boulder opals to show how she would transform it into a design.
This is the very stone she chose and secretly, we were hoping this would be the one as we're so in love with its unique, green flashes! Watch the video below to see the process.
Watch How Basia's Makes An Opal Pendant Below
Below, Basia shows you how she transformed our magical opal into a pendant...
Behind The Scenes...
Basia shared sneak peeks of the design process over on her Instagram page and it got us really excited about seeing the final piece. She asked her followers whether the opal should be set as a ring or pendant and let them decide what finish it should have.
We think you all made a wonderful choice with going for the pendant and floral detailing.
Find Out More About Our Boulder Opal Suppliers...
Every year, we're lucky enough to have our opal supplier visit us all the way from Australia so we can hand pick the most beautiful boulder opals for you.
We've so proud to have a 20 year long-standing relationship with Debbie and her husband and that we have the chance to support another small, family business just like ours.
Also in this section:
- The Essential Tools For Setting Gemstones
- Your Guide To Stone Setting Burrs For Jewellery Making
- What Is A Bezel Rocker?
- Types Of Settings & How To Use Them
- Types Of Settings For Calibrated Cabochon Stones
- Types Of Settings For Faceted Stones
- Types Of Settings For Free-Form Stones & Crystals
- Calibrated Gemstones & Size Tolerance In Jewellery Making
- Ready Made Settings vs Making Your Own Settings
- 7 Ways To Make Your Own Gemstone Ring
- How To Set Earstuds For Half Drilled Beads
- How to Set Flat Plates and Milled Edge Jewellery Settings
- How To Set Snaptite Settings
- How To Set Gemstones In Gallery Wire Settings
- How To Set Backset Settings
- How To Set Wraptite Settings
- How To Use Huggie Claw Settings For Crystals & Sea Glass
- What Are Bell Caps For Jewellery Making?
- How To Set A Pre-Notched Setting
- How To Set Claw Settings
- How To Make A Decorative Ring Setting For A Free Form Cabochon
- How To Make A Tube Setting For A Faceted Stone
- 4 Drilled Sea Glass Earring Projects
- Jewellery Making With Sea Glass: Drilling & Stone Setting Tutorials
- How To Drill Sea Glass For Jewellery Making
- How Much Bezel Strip/Gallery Wire Do I Need?
- Types Of Bezel Cups
- How to Adjust Bezel Settings to Fit Cabochons
- How To Set A Cabochon In A Bezel Setting
- How To Make A Gemstone Ring With A Bezel Cup
- How To Make A Bezel Set Cabochon Ring With 'Made By Oonagh'
- How To Make A Sea Glass Ring With Bezel Setting
- How To Make Bezel Set Cabochon Earstuds
- How To Make A Sea Glass Necklace With Backless Bezel Setting
- How To Bezel Set A Free Form Cabochon Onto A Textured Silver Pendant
- How To Make A Textured Pendant With A Freeform Gemstone Slice
- How To Make A Claw Set Cabochon Pendant
- How To Make A Prong/Claw Setting For Irregular Shapes Stones
- How to Make A Wire Edged Setting
- How To Make A Balled Claw Ring Setting
- Making An Australian Boulder Opal Pendant With Stardust Mine
- The Process Of Remodelling A Gemstone Ring With 'Honey Bee Design'