Beading: How To Start Jewellery Making With Lyndsey
Beading is such a wonderful hobby but how do you get started?
Jewellery making has so many great paths to go down, so whether you want to try your hand at wire wrapping, making beaded bracelets or even stone setting, the options are endless! But it can be difficult to know how to get started.
So today we're chatting with jeweller, Lyndsey all about getting started with the basics. She shares how she discovered jewellery making, showing you a few of her wire wrapped designs along with her top tips on how to try it for yourself.
Once you have watched Lyndsey's video, check out some handy links below to help guide you through the beginning of your jewellery making journey. If you have any questions, please do get in touch - we'd love to help.
Meet Lyndsey From 'Kind Jewels'
Lyndsey is the jeweller behind Kind Jewels, where she uses natural gemstone beads and crystals to create beautiful, intricate wire wrapped handmade jewellery in her home in Ireland. Her love for jewellery making was inspired by a trip to Africa, and it was after this she decided that the only way to create the ultimate souvenir was by making jewellery with her magnificent collection of gemstones.
Lyndsey is a self taught jeweller and has progressed her skills over time, to create a collection of handmade jewellery to sell.
We hope Lyndsey sharing her story inspires you to give this wonderful hobby a go for yourself.
Watch: Lyndsey shares her story and top tips for getting started in beading
Useful Videos & Links To Tutorials & Beading Supplies
Learn about the types of beads available for your handmade designs and discover plenty of projects with step by step instructions to get stuck into.
Wire wrapping is a great technique to learn to create unique and interesting designs. Read our advice page on choosing wire, building your tool kit and follow tutorials on a variety of projects from necklaces, bracelets to dangly earrings.
Explore over 300 gemstone beads to use in your handmade jewellery designs, in a range of shapes and sizes.
Wondering what basic tools you need to kick-start your new hobby? Take a look at our beginner's beading tool kit with all the essentials you need.
There are many beading thread options out there - it's all about experimenting and finding the ones you like best. Options include cords and threads such as hemp, silk, leather and suede or you can choose elastic or beading wire such as Flex-rite.
We love this beginner friendly book! It's an illustrated guide, with lots of techniques so you can build upon your skills and knowledge.
We're always uploading new tutorials and fun videos to our YouTube channel! Make sure you check it out and don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss new content.
Also in this section:
- Your Guide To Bead Stringing Materials For Jewellery Making
- The Essential Tools For Beading
- Beading: How To Start Jewellery Making With Lyndsey
- Answering Commonly Asked Beading Questions
- Types Of Beads For Jewellery Making
- The Difference Between Half Drilled, Top Drilled And Head Drilled Beads
- How To Use Top Drilled Beads
- Jewellery Making With Half Drilled Beads
- What Are Briolette Beads & How To Use Them
- Stringing Beads With Small Holes
- How To Make Your Bead Holes Bigger With A Bead Reamer
- Types Of Clasps For Jewellery Making
- 8 Reasons You Need A Bead Board
- How To Make A Sliding Knot
- Advice On Knotting Elastic Stretch Magic Thread
- How To Use Flex-Rite Jewellery Wire
- How To Use Crimps
- How To Make A Silkon Thread Briolette Necklace
- How To Make A Necklace With Beading Chain
- 4 Ways To Use Gemstone Donuts
- 4 Gemstone Chip Bead Project Ideas
- How To Use End Caps For Jewellery Making
- How To Make Earwires With Gemstone Beads
- How To Make A Memory Wire Bracelet
- How To Make Gemstone Bead Earrings
- How To Make A Bead Bar Necklace
- How To Make Beaded Bracelet With Flex-Rite Wire & Wire Guardians
- DIY Gemstone Friendship Bracelets
- How To Make A Beaded Bracelet With Knot Covers
- How To Make Polymer Clay Earrings
- How To Make Felt Jewellery
- DIY Mini Tassels & Jewellery Projects
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!