Types Of Beads For Jewellery Making
Beading is such a fun and creative hobby! We show you the many types of beads available, including materials, drill hole options and shapes to choose from to help you plan and inspire your designs.
Choosing the material of your bead
The most popular bead materials are gemstones and metal. You can also choose from a range of other materials including glass, ceramic, porcelain, crystal, enamel and more...
At Kernowcraft we mainly focus on gemstone and metal beads.
Use precious and semi-precious beads to create beautiful handmade jewellery, using natural gems available in many beautiful shapes and sizes.
Metal beads are great for contemporary designs, choose from sterling silver, gold and plated beads for your designs in a range of shapes and textures.
What Are The Drill Options For Beads?
Top drilled beads are drilled vertically through the top of the bead, about quarter of the way down. You can insert a post into it and when suspended from a chain or earring the bead appears as a little droplet.
Large holed beads are great for adding to charm bracelets, as well as using with thicker cords and wires.
Discover Our Favourite Shaped Beads...
The best thing about beading is that there are so many possibilities for unique designs! Beads come in a range of stunning shapes and sizes. Check out our range of shapes available in our gemstone range below...
Also in this section:
- Your Guide To Bead Stringing Materials For Jewellery Making
- The Essential Tools For Beading
- Beading: How To Start Jewellery Making With Lyndsey
- Answering Commonly Asked Beading Questions
- Types Of Beads For Jewellery Making
- The Difference Between Half Drilled, Top Drilled And Head Drilled Beads
- How To Use Top Drilled Beads
- Jewellery Making With Half Drilled Beads
- What Are Briolette Beads & How To Use Them
- Stringing Beads With Small Holes
- How To Make Your Bead Holes Bigger With A Bead Reamer
- Types Of Clasps For Jewellery Making
- 8 Reasons You Need A Bead Board
- How To Make A Sliding Knot
- Advice On Knotting Elastic Stretch Magic Thread
- How To Use Flex-Rite Jewellery Wire
- How To Use Crimps
- How To Make A Silkon Thread Briolette Necklace
- How To Make A Necklace With Beading Chain
- 4 Ways To Use Gemstone Donuts
- 4 Gemstone Chip Bead Project Ideas
- How To Use End Caps For Jewellery Making
- How To Make Earwires With Gemstone Beads
- How To Make A Memory Wire Bracelet
- How To Make Gemstone Bead Earrings
- How To Make A Bead Bar Necklace
- How To Make Beaded Bracelet With Flex-Rite Wire & Wire Guardians
- DIY Gemstone Friendship Bracelets
- How To Make A Beaded Bracelet With Knot Covers
- How To Make Polymer Clay Earrings
- How To Make Felt Jewellery
- DIY Mini Tassels & Jewellery Projects
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!