We show you how easy it is to make your own necklace using your favourite gemstone beads in any shape or size. This project requires little tools and supplies, giving you the chance to jump into jewellery making and experiment with wire-wrapping techniques.
Watch our video tutorial below and get all the jewellery supplies you need online with Kernowcraft.
1. Firstly, find the half way point in ready made chain and cut it in half using side cutters.
2. Next, take about 10cm of 0.3mm round wire (check it fits through the bead holes). You may wish to harden the wire a little before use as it is quite fine and flexible. An easy way to do this is to hold either end of the wire with snipe nose pliers and twist gently in opposite directions, you will notice after twisting a few times the wire will feel a little stiffer.
3. Now use round nose pliers to form a loop about 2cm down from one end. Thread one end of the chain into the loop and then create a tight neat coil with the wire by wrapping the shorter end around itself. For a detailed step by step instruction including clear photographs to help you learn the technique click here.
4. Next, start to thread the beads onto the wire. You can decide on the length of the bar that you want for your design, you can either use the full amount of beads or a shorter length.
5. After threading on the beads, leave enough wire on the other end (about 2cm) to complete the necklace by using the same wire wrapping technique to attach the wire onto the other side of the chain and wrap around the wire neatly to secure.
The beauty of bead bar necklaces is that you customise them with your favourite gemstones, in any shape and size you like! You just need to check that the size of wire will fit through the hole of the bead. Discover our range of gemstone beads, wire and chain below to suit your style. You will also find a range of bead bar designs in our Jewellery Making Kits section, with step by step instructions, a shopping list and recommended tools.
Choose your favourite gemstone beads to use in your bead bar designs! There are so many shapes and sizes to choose from.
Why not also add in some metal beads too for extra decoration!
Sterling silver wire is one of our favourite metals to use for wire wrapping as it's a lovely metal to manipulate and shape. Although you can also choose from other metals such as plated, brass, copper and gold. For bead bar necklaces, we suggest using 0.3mm wire for most small beads or if you're using larger beads which tend to have large holes, a 0.5mm wire might be more suitable. For more information on choosing wire for jewellery making, read our advice page.
Jewellery chain comes in a variety of styles and for a bead bar necklace, you need to ensure the links in your chain are large enough for the wire to go through. Our top favourite chains for this are medium trace chain and belcher chain.
For a bead bar you only need a few pliers to help you! This includes round nose pliers for forming loops, snipe nose pliers for holding and manipulating the wire and side cutters for cutting the wire.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see