We show you how easy it is to make your own necklace using your favourite gemstone beads in any shape or size. This project requires little tools and supplies, giving you the chance to jump into jewellery making and experiment with wire-wrapping techniques.
Watch our video tutorial below and get all the jewellery supplies you need online with Kernowcraft.
Sterling silver wire (we've used 0.3mm wire - just make sure the wire will fit through the gemstone bead)
Round nose pliers - for forming loops in the wire
Snipe nose pliers - for holding the wire while manipulating
Side cutters - for cutting the wire
1. Firstly, find the half way point in ready made chain and cut it in half using side cutters.
2. Next, take about 10cm of 0.3mm round wire. You may wish to harden the wire a little before use as it is quite fine and flexible. An easy way to do this is to hold either end of the wire with snipe nose pliers and twist gently in opposite directions, you will notice after twisting a few times the wire will feel a little stiffer.
3. Now use round nose pliers to form a loop about 2cm down from one end. Thread one end of the chain into the loop and then create a tight neat coil with the wire by wrapping the shorter end around itself. For a detailed step by step instruction including clear photographs to help you learn the technique click here.
4. Next, start to thread the beads onto the wire. You can decide on the length of the bar that you want for your design, you can either use the full amount of beads or a shorter length.
5. After threading on the beads, leave enough wire on the other end (about 2cm) to complete the necklace by using the same wire wrapping technique to attach the wire onto the other side of the chain and wrap around the wire neatly to secure.
The beauty of bead bar necklaces is that you customise it with your favourite gemstones, in any shape and size you like. You just need to check that the size of wire will fit through the hole of the bead. We've created a range of beautiful designs below using some of our favourite beads...