Wire Wrapped Cluster Briolette Earring Tutorial
If you fancy making some earrings that have the "wow factor" - you've come to the right place!
We love this sparkly design, it combines a range of wire wrapping techniques including wire wrapping a headpin and briolette bead. You can easily customise this project using your favourite gemstone beads and metals, just get creative and have some fun!
Find the video tutorial below, with step by step written instructions, plus a list of our recommended tools and supplies.
Recommended tools & supplies
- 2 briolette beads (features black tourmalinated quartz briolettes)
- 20 gemstone beads (features 3mm midnight blue spinel round beads)
- 20 headpins (features sterling silver extra fine headpins with ball)
- 2 jump rings, 5mms
- 2 lengths of approx 3cm loose chain (features sterling silver mini belcher chain but we also like using medium flat trace chain for projects like this)
- Sterling silver earwires with balls
- 40cm sterling silver round wire in your choice of diameter depending on your chosen bead - we recommend 0.3mm for most wire wrapped designs
- Side cutters
- Round nose pliers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Flat nose pliers
Tip: ensure your chosen wire fits comfortably through your chosen beads and that you choose chain with large enough links
Watch Our Video Tutorial On How To Recreate These Earrings
Or Follow Our Step By Step Instructions
Slide a bead onto the headpin and use round nose pliers to form a loop above the bead, before you start to wire wrap the bead to secure, slide the wire onto the top link of the chain just under the jump ring. Use your snipe nose pliers to grip the top of the loop and start wrapping the wire down towards the bead. Use your side cutters to trim the wire if needed as close to the coil as possible and use snipe nose pliers to tuck in the wire.
Repeat step 2 with as many headpins and beads as you like, attaching to each link of the chain until you're happy with the length and amount of beads you would like to feature. You will also need to leave a link of chain at the end to attach a wire wrapped briolette bead. If you have excess chain you can use your side cutters to trim to size.
Next it's time to wire wrap a briolette bead. Using 15-20cm of sterling silver round wire, slip the briolette onto the wire around 3-4cm down. Pinch both ends of the wire together at the top of the bead to form a triangle shape. Use round nose pliers to bend the longer length to a right angle and if necessary, use side cutters to cut the short side of the wire. Use round nose pliers to form a loop with the longer side of wire by bending it to a right angle and wrapping it around the tip of the pliers.
Before wrapping the wire, slide the loop onto the bottom link of the chain.
Attach an earwire through the top jump ring, push the ball against the earwire to secure in place.
Repeat the previous steps to make your second earring and your design is complete!
Follow Photo Tutorials On The Featured Techniques
At Kernowcraft, we stock over 300 types of gemstone beads in a range of shapes, sizes and cuts to suit your jewellery making needs
Briolette beads are one of our most common types of beads, they are usually pear shaped with facets which makes them super sparkly and great for using as focal pieces in your designs
The products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that stocks can vary, so do use your own judgement as to the compatibility of each item when making.
Also in this section:
- Tools For Making Jewellery Using Wire
- Your Guide On Choosing Wire For Jewellery Making
- Compare Jewellery Designs Using Different Sized Wire
- Wire Gauge Coversions
- How To Work Harden Jewellery Making Wire
- How To Use Nylon Jaw Pliers For Jewellery Making
- How To Use A Thing-A-Ma Jig For Jewellery Making
- How to Wire Wrap a Bead With a Headpin
- How To Wire Wrap A Bead
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Chain
- How To Wire Wrap A Briolette
- Wire Wrapped Cluster Briolette Earring Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Wrapped Bead Necklace With Handmade Clasp
- How To Wire Wrap A Rough Crystal
- How To Make Valentine's Day Earrings: Wonky Wire Hearts
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Crystal Necklace
- 6 Wire Wrapped Ring Projects & Essential Tools
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Ring
- How To Make An Anxiety Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Gemstone Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Cabochon Pendant
- How To Make A Tree Of Life Pendant
- How To Wire Wrap A Gemstone Donut
- How To Make Christmas Tree Earrings
- Simple Sterling Silver Wire Scroll Earrings
- Soldered Circle Hoop Earrings With Beads Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Hoop Earrings & Customise Them
- Metal Charm Hoop Earring Tutorial
- How To Make A Wire Word Necklace
- 4 Wire Wrapped Gemstone Tube Bead Projects
- Festival Inspired Crystal Necklace Tutorial
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!