How To Use Nylon Jaw Pliers For Jewellery Making
Discover why nylon jaw pliers are an essential tool for jewellery making.
Hold Items Without Marking Or Scratching
Sometimes using jewellery pliers to grip your work can mark or scratch it but with nylon jaw pliers, you won't have to worry as they won't damage your work. This is especially useful for opening and closing large jump rings and when using wire wrapping techniques.
If you are forming loops in wire or creating components, they will often need flattening to level and refine your desired shape, for a professional and neat finish. Simply squeeze the pliers over your piece to gently flatten your work without leaving any damage.
It can be so frustrating when a design doesn't go to plan and your wire gets bent and seems unusable. To fix this, simply run the nylon jaw pliers across the misshapen wire to straighten it out and remove any kinks, ready to use again!
Work Harden Your Designs
Finally, nylon jaw pliers are perfect for work hardening your metal designs so they are more durable. Squeeze the jaws of the pliers all over your piece to strengthen it, ready to incorporate into your design.
Over time and use, your nylon jaws will become chewed up and need of replacing. You can buy replacements right here at Kernowcraft!
Top tip - use a file to neaten the jaws to keep them going a little bit longer.
Discover our full range of jewellery pliers plus our handy pack of pliers and side cutters which contains all the pliers you need for jewellery making, complete with a zip-up case to keep them safe and organised.
Also in this section:
- Tools For Making Jewellery Using Wire
- Your Guide On Choosing Wire For Jewellery Making
- Compare Jewellery Designs Using Different Sized Wire
- Wire Gauge Coversions
- How To Work Harden Jewellery Making Wire
- How To Use Nylon Jaw Pliers For Jewellery Making
- How To Use A Thing-A-Ma Jig For Jewellery Making
- How to Wire Wrap a Bead With a Headpin
- How To Wire Wrap A Bead
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Chain
- How To Wire Wrap A Briolette
- Wire Wrapped Cluster Briolette Earring Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Wrapped Bead Necklace With Handmade Clasp
- How To Wire Wrap A Rough Crystal
- How To Make Valentine's Day Earrings: Wonky Wire Hearts
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Crystal Necklace
- 6 Wire Wrapped Ring Projects & Essential Tools
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Ring
- How To Make An Anxiety Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Gemstone Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Cabochon Pendant
- How To Make A Tree Of Life Pendant
- How To Wire Wrap A Gemstone Donut
- How To Make Christmas Tree Earrings
- Simple Sterling Silver Wire Scroll Earrings
- Soldered Circle Hoop Earrings With Beads Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Hoop Earrings & Customise Them
- Metal Charm Hoop Earring Tutorial
- How To Make A Wire Word Necklace
- 4 Wire Wrapped Gemstone Tube Bead Projects
- Festival Inspired Crystal Necklace Tutorial
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!