How To Wire Wrap A Rough Crystal
Create beautiful jewellery with rough crystals, stones and sea glass using wire wrapping techniques!
This page provides step by step instructions on how to wire wrap a rough crystal or undrilled stone, choose your favourite stones to use in this project from our wide range of crystals available!
This is a great technique to learn and get creative with a range of other design options.
In this tutorial we have one of our beautiful undrilled rough citrine natural crystals.
Please be aware that crystal shapes and formations vary greatly - this project is to inspire you and you may need to adjust the design to fit your chosen stones accordingly.
Recommended Tools & Supplies
Choose from our selection of metal wire to wrap your rough crystal. Including plated, sterling silver, 9ct gold, copper, brass and more.
Choose a suitable diameter wire for the size of your rough crystal that will wrap smoothly. We would usually recommend using 0.5mm wire for this size crystal.
We've used our lovely sterling silver hoop earrings which are available in a choice of sizes ready for you to wear as they are or to decorate as you like. Or choose from our wide range of earwires and earstuds to complete the look.
Follow step by step photos of how to make wire rough crystal earrings
Cut 2 pieces of 0.5mm wire, 20cm for each length. If your stone is larger, cut longer pieces of wire. (As a rough guide, stone length x 10 = wire length)
Cross the 2 pieces over at the centre of each piece of wire.
Twist the wire together 2 or 3 twists, long enough to rest the base of the stone on to.
Position the stone base on the length of twisted wire.
Take the piece of wire from the front left of the twist and shape over the stone to the front centre. Repeat with the wire from the front right side. Twist both pieces together at the front.
Turn the stone over and repeat this process on the back.
Next, looking at the side view, take the front left piece of wire and front right piece of the wire and twist in the middle on the side.
Turn to the opposite side of the stone and repeat the process. You now have 4 pieces of wire pointing up at the top of the stone. If your stone is bigger you may need to carry on the process of joining and twisting the wire until you get to the top.
Take one of the pieces of wire and form a loop using round nose pliers. Leave a length between 0.5 and 1cm so you have room to wrap over your wires later.
Using side cutters, cut the excess wire from the loop close to the stone
You now have 3 lengths of wire that will need to be wrapped around the loops stem. Begin by wrapping the first wire and cutting of the excess.
Wrap the 2nd from last piece of wire around the stem.
With the last piece of wire, wrap and ensure all loose ends are covered and neatened with the final wrap.
Tuck the end piece in neatly using your snipe nose pliers to finish to avoid the end of the wire catching on clothes.
Simply thread the loops onto an earwire and repeat the whole process to make the 2nd earring.
Your earrings are now complete!
The products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that stocks can vary, so do use your own judgement as to the compatibility of each item when making.
Also in this section:
- Tools For Making Jewellery Using Wire
- Your Guide On Choosing Wire For Jewellery Making
- Compare Jewellery Designs Using Different Sized Wire
- Wire Gauge Coversions
- How To Work Harden Jewellery Making Wire
- How To Use Nylon Jaw Pliers For Jewellery Making
- How To Use A Thing-A-Ma Jig For Jewellery Making
- How to Wire Wrap a Bead With a Headpin
- How To Wire Wrap A Bead
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Chain
- How To Wire Wrap A Briolette
- Wire Wrapped Cluster Briolette Earring Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Wrapped Bead Necklace With Handmade Clasp
- How To Wire Wrap A Rough Crystal
- How To Make Valentine's Day Earrings: Wonky Wire Hearts
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Crystal Necklace
- 6 Wire Wrapped Ring Projects & Essential Tools
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Ring
- How To Make An Anxiety Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Gemstone Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Cabochon Pendant
- How To Make A Tree Of Life Pendant
- How To Wire Wrap A Gemstone Donut
- How To Make Christmas Tree Earrings
- Simple Sterling Silver Wire Scroll Earrings
- Soldered Circle Hoop Earrings With Beads Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Hoop Earrings & Customise Them
- Metal Charm Hoop Earring Tutorial
- How To Make A Wire Word Necklace
- 4 Wire Wrapped Gemstone Tube Bead Projects
- Festival Inspired Crystal Necklace Tutorial
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!