How To Make A Wire Word Necklace
Get personal with a handmade wire word necklace!
If you're thinking of a personalised gift idea, this handmade wire word necklace is simple to make and would make a special gift for a loved one.
In our video tutorial below, we show you an easy way to create a word using wire. Simply print out a word of your choice to use as a guide and manipulate the wire with the help of round nose and snip nose pliers. We also show you how to turn your wire word into a necklace by hanging it from a chain and how you can customise it with stunning gemstone beads.
Supplies You Will Need:
- 25cm of 0.8mm wire for a 3 word letter (we've used silver plated which is great for practising with, however we'd recommend using sterling silver for a smoother finish!)
- Wire cutters - to cut the wire
- Snipe nose pliers - to create tight bends in the wire
- Round nose pliers - to create curves in the wire
- Nylon jaw pliers - to work harden the design
- Ready many chain - to hang your wire word from
- 2 x 3.5mm jump rings - to connect your wire word and chain
In this project we have used silver plated wire as this is an affordable alternative to sterling silver. It is great to practice with plated before moving onto sterling silver which is much easier to form and will create a smoother finish.
Watch the video tutorial below
Customise your wire word necklace with gemstone beads
If you want to add a pop of colour to your design or experiment with new techniques, you can add beautiful gemstones to the design. Either hang a wire wrapped bead from one of the letters or incorporate a wire-wrapped bead into the chain. As you can see from the featured photo, we have added two carnelian beads as it's said to bring happiness to those who wear it.
The products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that stocks can vary, so do use your own judgement as to the compatibility of each item when making.
Also in this section:
- Tools For Making Jewellery Using Wire
- Your Guide On Choosing Wire For Jewellery Making
- Compare Jewellery Designs Using Different Sized Wire
- Wire Gauge Coversions
- How To Work Harden Jewellery Making Wire
- How To Use Nylon Jaw Pliers For Jewellery Making
- How To Use A Thing-A-Ma Jig For Jewellery Making
- How to Wire Wrap a Bead With a Headpin
- How To Wire Wrap A Bead
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Chain
- How To Wire Wrap A Briolette
- Wire Wrapped Cluster Briolette Earring Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Wrapped Bead Necklace With Handmade Clasp
- How To Wire Wrap A Rough Crystal
- How To Make Valentine's Day Earrings: Wonky Wire Hearts
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Crystal Necklace
- 6 Wire Wrapped Ring Projects & Essential Tools
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Bead Ring
- How To Make An Anxiety Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Gemstone Ring
- How To Make A Wire Wrapped Cabochon Pendant
- How To Make A Tree Of Life Pendant
- How To Wire Wrap A Gemstone Donut
- How To Make Christmas Tree Earrings
- Simple Sterling Silver Wire Scroll Earrings
- Soldered Circle Hoop Earrings With Beads Tutorial
- How To Make Wire Hoop Earrings & Customise Them
- Metal Charm Hoop Earring Tutorial
- How To Make A Wire Word Necklace
- 4 Wire Wrapped Gemstone Tube Bead Projects
- Festival Inspired Crystal Necklace Tutorial
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!