Hand Polishing Your Jewellery With Polishing Papers
Our polishing papers are excellent for gaining a high sheen on metals or precious metal clay if you do not have power tools (such as a Dremel Multi Tool) for polishing. They are also excellent for polishing in those hard to reach areas! Polishing papers are especially effective with silver clays as the purer silver is particularly receptive to more gentle polishing methods.
Polishing papers work best when you are able to work through the different grades - from coarse to fine, which we will talk through on this page. However, before you start your polishing process you need to sand any scratches off your design by working down through the grades of our wet & dry sanding sheets.
HOW TO USE POLISHING PAPERS
Polishing papers have 3M micron-graded abrasives in them that polish your metal to a high sheen by simply working up through the coloured grades. For best results change the direction you are working in after each grade.
The easiest way to know which order to work through the colours is by numbering them. This way you can ensure you are working from the coarsest grade through to the finest grade.
The following is the order the papers need to be used in, starting with the coarsest
- Lime green (coarsest): 400 grit
- Grey: 600 grit
- Blue: 1200 grit
- Pink: 4000 grit
- Turquoise: 6000 grit
- Cream (the finest): 8000 grit.
We obtained much better results when the paper was wrapped around (or even glued to) a small, flat piece of wood, similar in shape to a nail file.
We also like to staple the papers together in the correct order so it's easier to pick up and start polishing without the need to reorder your papers.
Watch Our Polishing Papers In Action
Also in this section:
- Guide To Sanding & Polishing For Jewellery Making
- Hand Polishing Your Jewellery With Polishing Papers
- A Guide To Texturing Metals For Jewellery Making
- Top Tools For Making Textures On Metal
- Beginner's Guide To Chasing & Repoussé
- How To Make Easy Textured Earrings
- How To Make A Hammered Copper & Silver Heart Pendant
- How To Make A Textured Cuff Bracelet
- How To Make A Metal Leaf Decoration
- How To Use Doming Block & Punches For Jewellery Making
- How To Make Domed Metal Earrings With A Doming Block
- How To Engrave Your Drawings On Art Clay Copper
- Textured Washer Bracelet Tutorial With Guest Jeweller Laura Grey
- Barrelling Machine For Polishing Metal - Everything You Need To Know
- Tumbling Machine For Polishing Stones and Glass- Everything You Need To Know
- Polishing Jewellery Q&A With Stephen M Goldsmith
- Town Talk Products For Cleaning & Caring For Jewellery
- Creating A Resin Bird Pendant With Designer Sarah Hoare
- VIDEO: How To Create Patina With Liver Of Sulphur
- 2 Ways To Apply Liver Of Sulphur
- VIDEO: How To Use Silver Plating Solution
- How To Clean & Prevent Tarnished Jewellery
- Why You Need Anti Tarnish Paper Strips
- How To Use Midas Finish Seal Lacquer
- How To Use Renaissance Wax To Prevent Tarnished Jewellery
- VIDEO: Working With Crinkle Metal Sheet
- A Guide To Using Mokume Gane Metal For Jewellery Making
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to give you advice over email or on the phone.
You can learn more and find inspiration by visiting our Jewellery Making Tutorials, Jewellery Making Kits and YouTube Channel. Don't forget to follow us on social media and tag us in your designs on Instagram & Facebook, we would love to see!