This jewellery making project is great to try if you're a jewellery making beginner. We've used our pretty fluorite faceted round beads but you can choose any beads you wish with a hole size of approximately 0.8mm or larger to fit on the wire.
1. Begin by cutting approximately 20cm of 0.8mm sterling silver wire.
2. Use round nose pliers to form a loop at the top of the wire. You can make this loop smaller if you wish as it will only be use to thread the ear wire through. Ensure the end of the loop wire extends a little below the loop.
3. Use snipe nose pliers to create a right angle at the base of the loop. Shape the wire around a mandrel, tube or a small round object.
4. Thread on the beads.
5. Where the hoop meets, wrap the wire a few times around the space below the small loop catching in the excess wire. Cut the wire using side cutters and use pliers to squeeze and neaten the coil if necessary.
6. Gently squeeze the nylon coated pliers over the large wire hoop to smooth and shape it. This will help to stiffen the wire. (An alternative way to harden the wire is to place the hoop onto a steel block and tap gently using a rawhide mallet or chasing hammer.)
7. Next, simply thread the ear wire through the small loop at the top of the earring and squeeze a little to ensure the beaded hoop is secure.
8. Repeat these steps for the other earring hoop.
9. Your stunning earrings are now complete.
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
Make the design your own by using your favourite jewellery supplies.
'The Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery Techniques' by Sara Withers
'The Basics of Bead Stringing' by Debbie Kanan
'Beading Design' by Kim Glover
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
You can buy all the products in this collection at once by clicking the button below or add individual products by clicking the button beside each one.
Total price: £8.80
Additional information: Please pick 4 colours, 2 of each for earrings
Total price: £3.20
Total price: £1.35