Create a beautiful wire word necklace with sunny shades of carnelian rondelle beads. This is a simple wire wrap project, ideal for beginners.
1. Start by finding the centre of the chain and cut it with side cutters.
Now it's time to create the wire wrapped beads.
2. Simply cut 5cm of the 0.2mm wire.
3. Form a loop with round nose pliers. Catch the last link on one side of the chain through the loop. Twist the wire around and fix the loop in place, you will need to snip off any excess wire with side cutters and squeeze the end of the wire for a neat finish. Thread the carnelian bead onto the wire and start to form another loop. You can add more or less if you wish. Secure the loop by wire wrapping and again trim any excess wire.
4. Repeat the steps above for the other side of the chain.
As there are 10 beads and excess 0.2mm wire, you can add as many wire wrapped beads as you wish using the same method.
5. Next, It's time to manipulate the wire into a word. Choose the font, size and word and print off to follow as a guide - or hand write your own.
6. Begin by creating a small loop at the end of the 0.8mm wire. Catch in the loop from the wire wrapped bead. Place the wire on the word and use it as a guide. Use the round nose pliers and snipe nose pliers to manipulate the wire along the word. At the end of the word create another loop with the round nose pliers and catch the loose end of the wire wrapped bead chain into the loop.
7. Using nylon jaw pliers, gently squeeze the wire along the length of the word to work harden it.
This will complete your necklace!
It is best to have a practise run with silver plated wire as we have before you use sterling silver wire. It is good to bear in mind that the sterling silver wire is softer and easier to bend than the silver plated wire.
Side cutters - for cutting and trimming wire
Round nose pliers - for bending loops in wire
Double nylon jaw flat nose pliers - protects your wire from scratches and dents
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
Make the design your own by using your favourite jewellery supplies.
'The Basics of Bead Stringing' by Debbie Kanan
'Beading Design' by Kim Glover
Kernowcraft's jewellery making kits are aimed to inspire you - therefore the step by step instructions are available online only with a shopping list, where you can easily customise the design to suit you. We recommend printing or bookmarking this page ready to follow.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
You can buy all the products in this collection at once by clicking the button below or add individual products by clicking the button beside each one.
Total price: £6.95
Total price: £1.05
Total price: £3.00
Total price: £2.50