Ruby Chain Drop Earrings
These precious ruby chain drop earrings offer a unique design that features wire wrapping techniques.
The shopping list contains more jump rings and wire than needed so you can use them for future projects.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Begin by cutting your loose chain using side cutters into the following lengths: 2 x 5cm & 2 x 4cm.
2. Thread a ruby rondelle bead onto a headpin.
3. Use the tips of round nose pliers to form a loop in the headpin just above where the beads sit at the bottom of the headpin, then hook the loop onto the end of a chain link (4cm chain).
4. Hold onto the loop with the tips of snipe nose pliers and wrap underneath the loop a few times to secure. Trim excess wire using side cutters and tuck in the end of the wire.
5. Next it's time to wire wrap the ruby briolette bead. Using 15-20cm of sterling silver round wire, slip the briolette onto the wire around 3-4cm down. Pinch both ends of the wire together at the top of the bead to form a triangle shape. Use round nose pliers to bend the longer length to a right angle and if necessary, use side cutters to cut the short side of the wire. Use round nose pliers to form a loop with the longer side of wire by bending it to a right angle and wrapping it around the tip of the pliers.
6. Before wrapping the wire, slide the loop onto the bottom link of the 5cm loose chain.
7. Hold the loop flat using snipe nose pliers and begin wrapping the wire down towards the bead. Wrap it back up towards the loop, trim and tuck in with snipe nose pliers.
8. Use a pair of snipe or flat nose pliers to twist open a 5mm jump ring, attach the loose ends of the chain with beads as well as the bottom of the iris earrings, then twist closed to secure.
9. Repeat the previous steps to create the other earring and your design is complete!
SUGGESTED TOOLS FOR THIS PROJECT
Pair of Snipe nose pliers or flat nose pliers
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
CUSTOMISE YOUR KIT
Make the design your own by using your favourite jewellery supplies
How to wire wrap a bead with headpin
How to wire wrap a briolette bead
Read our wire wrapping advice pages with tutorials
JEWELLERY MAKING BOOKS
The Basics of Bead Stringing by Debbie Kanan
The Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery Techniques by Sara Withers
Beading Design by Kim Glover
Kernowcraft's jewellery making kits are aimed to inspire you - therefore the step by step instructions are available online only with a shopping list, where you can easily customise the design to suit you. We recommend printing or bookmarking this page ready to follow.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
Your Shopping List
There are one or more items out of stock at present.