We've created a simple pair of wire wrapped bead earrings in no time at all! Make the perfect treat for yourself or a gift for someone special.
This is a great beginner project, which doesn't require any soldering.
1. Use side cutters to cut 10cm of wire - this will give you enough for your post and excess for wire wrapping.
2. The bead we have used is 8mm. On one end of the wire use pliers to bend 0.8mm of wire at a right angle. Thread the short end through the bead hole.
3. Hold the bead securely and wrap 2 full circles around the bead.
4. Use pliers to create another right angle in line with the hole that has the wire in it.
5. Bend the wire over the bead to the base of the bead.
6. Create another right angle away from the base of the bead. This will form the post.
7. Use side cutters to cut the wire at 1cm to form the post.
8. Use a file to smooth the end of the wire as this needs to be smooth and safe to insert through your pierced ear lobe.
9. Work harden the earring post by squeezing with nylon jaw pliers. (An alternative way to harden the wire is to place the hoop onto a steel block and tap gently using a rawhide mallet or chasing hammer.)
10. Next create a notch on the ear post where the earring scroll will sit. If you have limited tools, the simplest way to do this is by using wire cutters to hold onto the wire and twist.
11. Attach the earring scroll onto the post - these can be adjusted to make tighter or looser if needed.
10. Repeat for the other earring.
Your earrings are now complete!
The beauty of wire wrapping is that you can experiment with your designs such as adding more loops or using other beads. Have fun and get creative!
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
Make the design your own by using your favourite gemstones
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
You can buy all the products in this collection at once by clicking the button below or add individual products by clicking the button beside each one.
Total price: £2.26
Additional information: Best match for earrings
Total price: £1.30
Total price: £1.60