We love collecting sea glass and turning it into handmade jewellery!
These large hoop sea glass earrings involve drilling a hole for the jump ring and look stunning, making a perfect treat for yourself or a gift for a loved one. This kit contains a pack of 10 jump rings, meaning you can drill 10 pieces from your sea glass collection ready for other creations! This sea glass project requires a rotary tool and a few tools (listed below) as you will need to drill a hole in each piece of sea glass.
Please note that this kit does not contain sea glass or the tools needed to drill sea glass (see below our recommended tool list).
1. Choose two pieces of clean sea glass that will dangle nicely below the hoop.
2. Next, drill 2 holes in your sea glass - giving enough room to attach a jump ring. Watch our video on how to drill sea glass below or read our advice page.
4. Once you have drilled your sea glass twist open a jump ring using snipe nose pliers and attach through the drilled hole. Close the jump ring.
5. Next, cut approximately 15cm of 0.8mm sterling silver wire.
6. Use round nose pliers to form a loop at the top of the wire.
7. Shape the hoop earring around a mandrel or a small round object.
8. Slide on the jump ring and sea glass onto the hoop.
9. Use round nose pliers to create a loop at the end of the wire, wrapping around the bottom of the other loop. Use snipe nose pliers to adjust the loops if necessary.
10. Use snipe nose pliers to open the loop of the earwire and attach the loop at the top - close using the pliers.
11. Gently squeeze the nylon coated pliers over the wire to smooth and shape it. This will also help to stiffen the wire. (An alternative way to harden the wire is to place the hoop onto a steel block and tap gently using a rawhide mallet or chasing hammer.)
12. Repeat these steps for the other earring hoop.
Your large hoop sea glass earrings are now complete.
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
Make the design your own by customising the kit with your favourite supplies.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
You can buy all the products in this collection at once by clicking the button below or add individual products by clicking the button beside each one.
Total price: £2.65
Total price: £2.40
Total price: £2.99
Total price: £13.95