This jewellery making project is great to try if you're a jewellery making beginner. We've used our beautiful labradorite faceted round beads but you can choose any beads you wish with a hole size of approximately 0.3mm to fit on the wire.
1. Begin by cutting approximately 20cm of 0.8mm sterling silver wire.
2. Use round nose pliers to form a loop at the top of the wire. You can make this loop smaller if you wish as it will only be use to thread the ear wire through. Ensure the end of the loop wire extends a little below the loop.
3. Use snipe or flat nose pliers to create a right angle at the base of the loop. Shape the wire around a mandrel, tube or a small round object.
4. Where the hoop meets, wrap the wire a few times around the space below the small loop catching in the excess wire. Cut the wire using side cutters and use pliers to squeeze and neaten the coil if necessary.
5. Gently squeeze the nylon coated pliers over the large wire hoop to smooth and shape it. This will also help to stiffen the wire. (An alternative way to harden the wire is to place the hoop onto a steel block and tap gently using a rawhide mallet or chasing hammer.)
6. Next, using the 0.3mm wire, wrap a few loops to secure tightly on the main hoop, roughly 3/4 of the way round. Ensure it can still move a little to be able to position correctly once the beads are on.
7. Thread on the first bead and then wrap 2 times around the wire of the main hoop. Thread the next bead and continue the same process until all 10 beads are on the hoop. Secure a few loops of wire at the end, same as at the start.
8. Move the beads and wire slightly to make sure they are central at the base of the hoop and then tightly secure if needed.
9. Next, use snipe nose pliers to open the loop of the ear wire and attach to the hoop, then close to secure.
10. Repeat these steps for the other earring hoop.
11. Your stunning earrings are now complete.
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
Make the design your own by using your favourite jewellery supplies.
'The Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery Techniques' by Sara Withers
'The Basics of Bead Stringing' by Debbie Kanan
'Beading Design' by Kim Glover
Kernowcraft's jewellery making kits are aimed to inspire you - therefore the step by step instructions are available online only with a shopping list, where you can easily customise the design to suit you. We recommend printing or bookmarking this page ready to follow.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
There are one or more items out of stock at present.
Total price: £4.80
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
Total price: £9.50
Total price: £4.00
Total price: £6.00