These gemstone donut earrings are another example of how our beautiful gemstone donuts can be used in jewellery making.
It's really easy to make and is a great example of how a simple design can really work and be easily customisable.
2. Put 20cm of wire through the hole of the donut and wrap this around the donut 5 times. You want to have roughly equal lengths left over both sides. To end up with this, start with one side of the wire double the length of the other and use the longer side to wrap around the donut.
3. Use your snipe nose pliers to pinch the ends of the wire together so they are flush with each other.
4. Take your round nose pliers and about 5mm up from the top of the donut, bend to an angle and then create a loop around the pliers.
5. Hold the loop with the round nose pliers, then tightly wrap the wire around itself downwards towards the donut, once at the bottom wrap it back up towards the loop to create a thicker bail. This will use almost all of the wire.
6. Use side cutters to cut the wire off as close to the bail as possible.
7. Use the snipe nose pliers to squeeze the loose wire ends into the wrapped wire bail. You want it so that when you run your finger along it you won't be able to feel anything sharp.
8. Repeat the same previous steps on the opposite side of the donut.
9. Use snipe nose pliers to twist open a 5mm jump ring and attach to one donut loop and add the star charm before twisting closed to secure.
10. Use snipe nose pliers to twist open the loop of the earwire and attach the other donut loop before closing.
11. Repeat the previous steps to complete the pair of earrings.
make the design your own by using your favourite gemstone donut
'The Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery Techniques' by Sara Withers
Kernowcraft's jewellery making kits are aimed to inspire you - therefore the step by step instructions are available online only with a shopping list, where you can easily customise the design to suit you. We recommend printing or bookmarking this page ready to follow.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
There are one or more items out of stock at present.
Total price: £9.70
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
Total price: £3.60
Total price: £3.10
Total price: £14.30
Total price: £2.65