Black Spinel Hoop Earrings
This jewellery making project is great to try if you're a jewellery making beginner. We've used sparkling black spinel briolettes but you can choose any beads you wish.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Begin by wire wrapping the spinel briolette using 0.3mm sterling silver wire. You can see step by step instructions with photos here.
2. Next, cut approximately 15cm of 0.8mm sterling silver wire.
3. Use round nose pliers to form a loop at the top of the wire.
4. Shape the hoop earring around a mandrel or a small round object.
5. Slide on the wire wrapped briolette onto the hoop.
6. Use round nose pliers to create a loop at the end of the wire, wrapping around the bottom of the other loop. Use snipe nose pliers to adjust the loops if necessary.
7. Use snipe or flat nose pliers to open the loop of the earwire and attach the hoop - close using the pliers.
8. Gently squeeze the nylon coated pliers over the wire to smooth and shape it. This will also help to stiffen the wire. (An alternative way to harden the wire is to place the hoop onto a steel block and tap gently using a rawhide mallet or chasing hammer.)
9. Repeat these steps for the other earring hoop.
Watch our video tutorial on how to make a hoop earring
SUGGESTED TOOLS FOR THIS PROJECT
You may like to get our pack of pliers & side cutters which is an economical way of buying all the pliers you will need for every project!
CUSTOMISE YOUR KIT
Make the design your own by using your favourite jewellery supplies.
JEWELLERY MAKING BOOKS
'The Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery Techniques' by Sara Withers
'The Basics of Bead Stringing' by Debbie Kanan
'Beading Design' by Kim Glover
Kernowcraft's jewellery making kits are aimed to inspire you - therefore the step by step instructions are available online only with a shopping list, where you can easily customise the design to suit you. We recommend printing or bookmarking this page ready to follow.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
Your Shopping List
You can buy all the products in this collection at once by clicking the button below or add individual products by clicking the button beside each one.
Special requests: Matching please