This project is great if you love creating wire wrapping designs!
It's also perfect if you're a jewellery making beginner, looking for a quick and beautiful gift idea or a treat for yourself. Why not get creative and use your favourite gemstone beads and wire to make the design your own?
This project uses our sterling silver hoop earrings but we also have rose gold hoops available too!
1. Firstly begin by creating the bead chain with the mermaid tail charm which will hang from the center of the hoop. Cut a length of wire about 5cm long, form a loop on one end using round nose pliers, leaving a short length on one side of the loop. Before you begin to wire wrap, slide on the zircon bead. Take the shorter length of wire and wrap it around the longer length to create a tight neat coil, 2 or 3 twists should be enough. You can use your snipe nose pliers to hold the loop whilst wrapping.
2. Use side cutters to cut off any excess wire as close to the coil as possible then use the snipe nose pliers to make sure it's tucked in and there are no sharp points.
3. Form another loop on the other side of the wire and attach the mermaid tail charm before wire wrapping to secure. Again, neatly cut off any excess wire and tuck in any sharp points. Slide the loop of this component onto the hoop earring. You can see the full technique used in step-by-step photographs here.
4. Use side cutters to cut a length of wire approx 30cm and begin by wrapping the wire around the hoop as many times as you like to secure.
5. Thread on a zircon bead and wrap four times (or as many times as you like). TIP: We've gone for an organic-looking wrap, although you can make the coils tighter which will result in a neater and more uniform finish.
6. Continue with as many beads are you like until you're happy with your design and finish with a few more wraps to secure, ensuring the mermaid charm remains central on the hoop. Cut with side cutters and tuck the end of the wire in.
7. Repeat these steps for the other earring hoop.
Side cutters for cutting wire
Snipe nose pliers for tucking in and adjusting wire
Round nose pliers for forming loops
Make the design your own by using your favourite beads or charms - make sure the hole of the bead is big enough to slide onto the hoop.
Kernowcraft's jewellery making kits are aimed to inspire you - therefore the step by step instructions are available online only with a shopping list, where you can easily customise the design to suit you. We recommend printing or bookmarking this page ready to follow.
The suggested products used in this project are suggestions to inspire you. Products used were compatible at the time of making but do be aware that gemstones are natural and hand cut stocks can vary, so do use your own common sense as to the compatibility of each item when making.
There are one or more items out of stock at present.
Total price: £5.95
Total price: £9.98
Total price: £15.98
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
Total price: £6.00